Exec.cpp error

chrisdavis

I got VI Tester downloaded, but I'm having an issue. I've attached two screenshots with my error. When I first start VI Tester I get a message saying that it needs to mass compile itself, which I let it do. At the end of that I get the following screenshot. Start_up.png

I thought I would mass compile the directory myself, to see if that would help, and it did. So now I can run VI Tester. When I make a "new" test project / lvclass the project window for that class won't come to the front, so I have to quit LabVIEW to get it to close. Now since there is a sample test in the test class, I thought I would run it through the VI Tester just to give it a shot. Same internal error as before. Running_test_case.png.

For the record, VI Tester installs and works fine in LabVIEW 8.5 and 8.6.

I seem to remember quite a few bugs related to lvclasses in 8.2 that were fixed in 8.2.1, but I thought I would post this message to see if others were having trouble before I tried to upgrade my system.

System setup:

LabVIEW 8.2 (no 8.2.1 patch installed)

Windows XP SP2

I got VI Tester downloaded, but I'm having an issue. I've attached two screenshots with my error. When I first start VI Tester I get a message saying that it needs to mass compile itself, which I let it do. At the end of that I get the following screenshot. post-16-1233765066_thumb.png

I've personally been testing in 8.2.1 not 8.2 -- we will look into this and may need to upgrade our minimum requirements because, as you mentioned, there were some major bug fixes in 8.2.1 related to LVOOP classes.

I thought I would mass compile the directory myself, to see if that would help, and it did. So now I can run VI Tester. When I make a "new" test project / lvclass the project window for that class won't come to the front, so I have to quit LabVIEW to get it to close.

I've added this to the known issues (case #6811) -- the workaround is to create a LabVIEW project file first, and then new create test cases. By default, VI Tester will add your TestCase to the project that you launched the 'New TestCase' wizard from.

Same internal error as before. post-16-1233765241_thumb.png.

Can you try opening the TestCase class from LabVIEW and see if you have any issues? Try a save-all and then re-run from VI Tester and see if that helps. I think this is an 8.2 related issue and will look into it further.

Thanks for your feedback!

I've added this to the known issues (case #6811) -- the workaround is to create a LabVIEW project file first, and then new create test cases. By default, VI Tester will add your TestCase to the project that you launched the 'New TestCase' wizard from.

Your workaround works. When I did this I was able to interact with the blank project correctly.

Can you try opening the TestCase class from LabVIEW and see if you have any issues? Try a save-all and then re-run from VI Tester and see if that helps. I think this is an 8.2 related issue and will look into it further.

I think I've done what you asked here, to no avail. The same exec.cpp error popped up.

BTW, I did a quick search on NI's site as well as LAVA and didn't find this particular error mentioned anywhere. I know these errors are EXTREMELY difficult to diagnose, so thanks for trying.

I'm not opposed to upgrading to 8.2.1, if you think that will solve my problems, I just haven't yet.

• 2 weeks later...
We were able to reproduce your problems so we are changing the minimum requirements to 8.2.1. Thanks for your help in reporting this issue!

If I don't want to upgrade to 8.2.1 can I test VI's written in 8.2 from withing 8.5? I know its a strange question, but I'm not entirely sure what VI Tester would do. My first gut answer would be yes since I don't believe that VI Tester would actually try to save or modify my VI while testing it. What do you guys think? Is this a crazy idea?

If I don't want to upgrade to 8.2.1 can I test VI's written in 8.2 from withing 8.5? I know its a strange question, but I'm not entirely sure what VI Tester would do. My first gut answer would be yes since I don't believe that VI Tester would actually try to save or modify my VI while testing it. What do you guys think? Is this a crazy idea?

Hi Chris, There shouldn't be any problem running tests in 8.5 that were created in 8.2. No, VI Tester isn't going to try to save any of your VIs.

Archived