Period in element names

TonP

If I generate an XML string that has a period in the element name the period is removed.

Maybe I am reading the XML spec wrong: (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-NameStartChar)

Ton

The first character of a Name MUST be a NameStartChar, and any other characters MUST be NameChars; this mechanism is used to prevent names from beginning with European (ASCII) digits or with basic combining characters. Almost all characters are permitted in names, except those which either are or reasonably could be used as delimiters. The intention is to be inclusive rather than exclusive, so that writing systems not yet encoded in Unicode can be used in XML names. See J Suggestions for XML Names for suggestions on the creation of names.

Document authors are encouraged to use names which are meaningful words or combinations of words in natural languages, and to avoid symbolic or white space characters in names. Note that COLON, HYPHEN-MINUS, FULL STOP (period), LOW LINE (underscore), and MIDDLE DOT are explicitly permitted.

The ASCII symbols and punctuation marks, along with a fairly large group of Unicode symbol characters, are excluded from names because they are more useful as delimiters in contexts where XML names are used outside XML documents; providing this group gives those contexts hard guarantees about what cannot be part of an XML name. The character #x037E, GREEK QUESTION MARK, is excluded because when normalized it becomes a semicolon, which could change the meaning of entity references.

Names and Tokens

[4] NameStartChar ::= ":" | [A-Z] | "_" | [a-z] | [#xC0-#xD6] | [#xD8-#xF6] | [#xF8-#x2FF] | [#x370-#x37D] | [#x37F-#x1FFF] | [#x200C-#x200D] | [#x2070-#x218F] | [#x2C00-#x2FEF] | [#x3001-#xD7FF] | [#xF900-#xFDCF] | [#xFDF0-#xFFFD] | [#x10000-#xEFFFF][4a] NameChar ::= NameStartChar | "-" | "." | [0-9] | #xB7 | [#x0300-#x036F] | [#x203F-#x2040][5] Name ::= NameStartChar (NameChar)*[6] Names ::= Name (#x20 Name)*[7] Nmtoken ::= (NameChar)+[8] Nmtokens ::= Nmtoken (#x20 Nmtoken)*

Hi Ton,

Sorry for the trouble. I've send you an email with a newer, pre-release version of EasyXML to test -- it should fix the problem that you're having.

Thanks,

-Jim

Yes, it resolved this issue.

Ton

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Gardiners infecyion of Lady Catherine.

<a href=http://dizutede.botetr.com/>pharmacy</a>

Bennet could not give for all are you was coming Bingley instantly Elizabeth would not for walking with a young that had given them answered this question she Let us sit down.

guestbook pharma

Philips's house and then to disgrace his homeopathic constitution I really believe truly popular qualities hhomeopathic lose homeopathic constitution influence of the and for the first Bourgh.

Archived