Tortoise Commits

gosenbach

I am sure that there is some way to do this, however it is unclear exactly how to do it.

I added several new files to my project and modified several others and wanted to do a commit. Normally I would (in file explorer) right click on the top level and select commit. Tortoise will then poll everything for new and updated files and let me commit them all in one go. It seems with the LabVIEW add in, when I try to commit, it only commits the active VI and if I try to commit from the project window, it will only commit the selected vi. If I have new VIs, I need to manually add them, one by one.

Using the JKI tool, how can I do a 1 step global Add/Commit similar to how I would do it in windows file explorer?

Thanks!

Greg Osenbach

Bloomy Controls

Hi Greg,

We don't have such a feature, right now, but we're thinking about how we might do this. I agree that it would be a very useful.

Thanks,

Thanks for the response Jim. Its good to know that I was not just missing something :)

I love the concept of being able to use Tortoise from within LabVIEW, however I am not sure how useful it will be without being able to execute atomic adds, commits and updates. Although I think the revert function will be useful.

Greg

Thanks for the response Jim. Its good to know that I was not just missing something :)

I love the concept of being able to use Tortoise from within LabVIEW, however I am not sure how useful it will be without being able to execute atomic adds, commits and updates. Although I think the revert function will be useful.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the feedback. Please feel free to let us know how you might expect atomic operations to work inside the project environment. We'd love to hear your ideas.

Yes, revert is a very useful feature, but try these out, too, because I think they are very useful:

• Show Log: see all the changes made to a single VI
  • Rename: rename a VI in svn and in LabVIEW, with a single operation (try doing this yourself, to see how hard it is)
  • Delete: delete a VI from disk and svn, after it is no longer being used in LabVIEW

Thanks,

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the feedback. Please feel free to let us know how you might expect atomic operations to work inside the project environment. We'd love to hear your ideas.

Yes, revert is a very useful feature, but try these out, too, because I think they are very useful:

• Show Log: see all the changes made to a single VI
  • Rename: rename a VI in svn and in LabVIEW, with a single operation (try doing this yourself, to see how hard it is)
  • Delete: delete a VI from disk and svn, after it is no longer being used in LabVIEW

Thanks,

I will give those a try.

How well does the rename and delete functions deal with VIs that are loaded into memory?

Greg

I will give those a try.

How well does the rename and delete functions deal with VIs that are loaded into memory?

Greg

It deals with them very well :)

Here are some excerpts from the documentation:

• Rename... - Performs an SVN Rename and synchronizes the target VI(s) in memory with disk.
  • Delete... - Performs an SVN Delete, followed by an SVN Commit. This item is only allowed for VIs that have no VI Callers in memory.

In both cases, the JKI TortoiseSVN Tool keeps the LabVIEW VIs in sync with the VI files on disk.

Archived