Show 'Window Title Name' instead of 'SubVI Name' in Palette Editor

jgcode

Thought it would be cool if the subVIs in the palette used their Display Name (VI Properties>>Window Appearance>>Window Title) in VIPM rather than their actual name (unless it is undefined).

The reason being it just a final check I can do whilst building, and I would pick up any errors (names I missed).

Palette Editor

post-2618-0-20984600-1303779715_thumb.png

Installed Palette

post-2618-0-17705900-1303779957_thumb.png

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

An update on this forum topic. This feature is implemented in VIPM 2012.0.1

So I'm not a fan of this feature. Maybe because I am just use to how it worked previously.

When I build a VI I have the setting to rename the VI (under the Source File Settings) to append my companies name to the VI. The large majority of the VIs I have are utility VIs and not intended to be shown to the user, so the VI Properties for many VIs has the Window Title be "Same as VI name".

With these two things combined, when I build a package, my VI title shown on the palette will be the long VI name. So for example if I had a VI named "Get Windows Logon Name.vi" I would have it be renamed "magna_Get Windows Logon Name.vi" and this is the title that would show up if the VI is seen on the palette.

To fix this I have a few options, all of which add a few steps for each VI in my package. I can disable the prefix renameing. Which would break all code needing to relink to the new VI name. Or I can change the VI properties for each VI to be the short name of the VI and not the file name by default. Or I can on each VI in the package right click and choose "Edit VI Name". I would have preferred a change like this to be a setting, or at least to ignore the prefix name if the VI gets renamed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. I see where the problem is. I would actually consider this a bug. This is because the VI name that shows in the palettes should actually be the new name with the prefix (if you've chosen one). We should be honoring this in the palettes, which we're not.

Based on your feedback, and the fact that it's probably a bug. I'd say we will likely be fixing this in the next release.

• 3 months later...

To fix this I have a few options, all of which add a few steps for each VI in my package. I can disable the prefix renameing. Which would break all code needing to relink to the new VI name. Or I can change the VI properties for each VI to be the short name of the VI and not the file name by default. Or I can on each VI in the package right click and choose "Edit VI Name". I would have preferred a change like this to be a setting, or at least to ignore the prefix name if the VI gets renamed.

hooovahh, We've added a feature in VIPM 2013 that gives you the old behavior of the VI Title short names.

Archived