Can't install VIPM (error code 5)

======

JKI Note: Please read this article for a solution to this problem:

Error 5 occurred at an unidentified location - Error Message

======

I'm trying to install VIPM 2010.0.2 on a WinXP Pro PC that only has LV2010 FDS and LV2009 SP1 runtime, each time I run the installer I get an error 5 "file already opened" from the installer and then it stops.

No other VIPM version has ever been installed on that computer.

How can I solve this issue?

2012-08-13_1249.png

I will investigate this further. In the meantime:

Do you have administrator access during install?

Also, can you re-download the file, in case it is corrupt?

Hello,

I do have admin rights, I did redownload the installer and same thing happens.

Sorry, I don't really know what details I could give you...

Before trying to install VIPM I installed LabVIEW 2010 FDS with Vision Development Module, VB AI and some drivers.

Then I installed the 2009 SP1 RTE and installed and then tried with VIPM.

Is it still possible to download a previous version of VIPM 2010 from somewhere?

And I now have the same issue on a different computer. We just received it from HP, installed with Win 7 Ultimate. I've just installed LV 2010 + Vision Development Module, VBAI 2010 and LV 2009 RTE and here's what I get :

issue win7.jpg

Basically all our computer have the same configuration (they all come from HP) and can have Win XP Pro or Win 7 Ultimate.

The difference I can think of between the computer on which I can install VIPM 2010.2 and those on which I can't is the number of LabVIEW versions installed.

The developers' computers have at least LV 8.5, 8.6, 2009 SP1 and some also have LV 2010, and all could install VIPM 2010.2 ; only the computers with just LV 2010 and LV 2009 SP1 RTE won't let VIPM 2010.2 install properly.

Any idea what's the issue?

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem here also. The difference is I run NOD32 antivirus and Outpost firewall. Both have been disabled prior to trying to Install VIPM (latest version). Receiving "Labview: file already open" error. Again both my anitvirus and filewall software were disabled prior to trying to install. Appears this is not just a problem with an antivirus software. Also, labview runtime 2009 was successfully installed prior to installing VIPN. I am using XP SP3. and Labview 8.5

Same problem here also. The difference is I run NOD32 antivirus and Outpost firewall. Both have been disabled prior to trying to Install VIPM (latest version). Receiving "Labview: file already open" error. Again both my anitvirus and filewall software were disabled prior to trying to install. Appears this is not just a problem with an antivirus software. Also, labview runtime 2009 was successfully installed prior to installing VIPN. I am using XP SP3. and Labview 8.5

What file is already opened? I can't get this installed. Not even with my antivirus disabled.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I'm running XP, so there's no "Run as Administrator" option. I do have full admin rights on my PC though. I took a stab in the dark and tried stopping all the NI services running on my PC before running the VIPM installer, but no luck.

Brian, the GPIB reference is showing up for me because I have old versions of LabVIEW installed (I think). For some reason NI assigned the same error codes to two different errors in some cases, so the message had to account for both.

Jaegen

So, I thought I'd disabled the virus scanner, but I hadn't. Once I unloaded it properly, the install worked.

Brian, you should maybe pull up your services and make sure all the anti-virus stuff is properly stopped.

Jaegen

I disabled my virus scanner (NOD32) as well as my Firewall software (Outpost Firewall) prior to installing, as mentoned in a previous post. I will double check

my processes and see if anything related to them is still running.

Bryan

• 11 months later...

Hello there,

I have the same error message - I was so happy to find the solution here and I went to the IT guys with a big smile on my face, asking them to disable the OfficeScan on my PC for a couple of minutes.

Their answer was: "Disabling antivirus is strictly forbidden, use another software for your work..." Very helpful indeed. :)

Is there any way to install VI package manager on a pc with running OfficeScan antivirus software?

Csaba

Hi Michael, thanks for the tip.

Yes, I have tried all of the dirty tricks to bypass our IT policy, but I don´t have right to kill that process.

I have just sent a notice to our manager, who will have a talk with the IT guys. Life would be boring without ultra-strict IT policies... :)

Have you tried finding OfficeScan in your task manager and killing it?

• 1 month later...

Same here... IT can't/won't disable the anti-virus software. I'd be ready to buy the full version st $499, but...

What is the installer trying to do that's triggering the anti-virus? GPIB error? Sounds like some unhandled error...

Please help! You'll make $499... :)

Does the anti-virus have an exception list where you can add applications to ignore scanning?

Nope, can't add an "exception"

What exactly is the installer trying to do? Install a DLL somewhere it shouldn't, modify the registry? All things that would trigger the anti-virus... You should know.

Well, unless your installer has a virus in it. Or the whole thing IS a virus! Ha! :blink:

Archived