Order of Installed Dependencies Affect Installation When Package Uses Scripts

jgcode

VIPM 2010.0.2

To be fair, I wouldn't call this a bug however, I will use the bug template to convey the issue.

Steps to reproduce the bug (if it can be reproduced)

Example using OpenG 4.x release.

Note: in order to replicate this issue I had to ensure that this was the first time these packages were being downloaded i.e. I had to manually delete them from the cache to reproduce this issue after it occurred the first time. With the packages in the cache, the issue could not be reproduced.

Select OpenG Toolkit and its dependencies to be installed:

post-2618-0-90640200-1309065612_thumb.png

Error occurs and OpenG LabVIEW ZIP Library is not installed:

post-2618-0-81730300-1309065622_thumb.png

Error details point to PostInstall.vi as issue:

post-2618-0-13582300-1309065632_thumb.png

post-2618-0-30831500-1309065681_thumb.png

Re-select OpenG LabVIEW ZIP Library to be installed:

post-2618-0-18444800-1309065646_thumb.png

Installation is successful:

post-2618-0-50028000-1309065655_thumb.png

post-2618-0-31840900-1309065666_thumb.png

Expected behavior (what would happen if the bug didn't exist)

When installing OpenG Toolkit, OpenG LabVIEW ZIP Library package (which is a dependency) installs without error.

Actual, observed behavior (the bug)

When installing OpenG Toolkit, OpenG LabVIEW ZIP Library package (which is a dependency) installs with error. LV ZIP package must be re-selected to be installed afterwhich, it installs successfully.

Workarounds

This issue arises from the scripts using\linking-to\calling VIs in other packages and those VIs not being available e.g. to order of installation?.

I had this issue before and have two workarounds:

• Create simple scripts that consist of a single VI and only call native LabVIEW prims/sub-VIs.
  • Create more complex scripts (including reusing VIs) where the scripts are built into e.g. .llb's, where all the required non-NI VIs are included so they were not dependent on the state of my LabVIEW installation during package install and uninstall. I did this previously using OpenG Package Builder and LabVIEW Application Builder - but it was a pain, and I try to stay clear of it.

Thinking out aloud however, maybe as a new feature, VIPM could handle this where Scripts are treated and compiled as self-contained mini-apps and everything is handled under the hood - so you could have complicated scripts that are bullet-proof.

Cheers

-JG

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay in replying,

Yes I believe the above is correct for that package. But the Dependency of a package is really for that which is required in the LabVIEW Development Environment.

This is a dependency for the Installation/Uninstallation - maybe it could also be handled by declaring dependencies for the scripts?

Archived