Bug: New created testcase has VIs from TestCase.lvclass

shb

When I create a new test case in LV12, it contains the VIs from TestCase.lvclass instead of the new created VIs. All the included VIs are affected (setUp.vi, tearDown.vi, and testExample.vit). (At least TestCase.lvclass is the parent of the new created class as it should be.)

When a new VI is created from the template (selected in the context menu), it is shown in the correct class, but the VI title tells it is in TestCase.lvclass

The VIs in the directory of the new class (setUp.vi, ...) claim to be part of TestCase.lvclass

Creating a new test case with the same VI Tester Version works in LV11. See the attached class file for comparision. (I could not upload them with the correct extension.)

I just had to uninstall and install the VIPM package of the VI tester because I have saved the TestCase.lvclass referencing the new created VIs. IfI had checked the list of changes more carefully, I would have detected the bug without messing up the installation.

Details:

LabVIEW: 12.01f 32bit

JKI VI Tester: 1.1.2.164

test creation of TestCase_lvclass.txt

test creation of TestCase_lvclass LV11.txt

• 5 months later...

I just messed up my installation again on an other computer. This time I fixed it by manually extracting the files from the vipm package.

But now I used the opportunity to examine:

• The original owning class is "TemplateTestCase.lvclass". It also was last time, I have checked in the attached file.
  • The problem seems to be that <resource> is a symbolic path in LV12. (Spotted in the class file attached to the original post.)
    • When the template files are converted to LV12, they do not contain relative links relative to themselves, but links relative to <resource>
    • When this files are copied or moved, their SubVIs still point to <resurces>/...
    • When the files are not converted, <resource> does not exist, so the problem does not occure.

I just tested this:

I opened and saved the TestCaseTemplate.lvclass to LV12. A new created TestCaseClass contains the VIs in the original location <resource>/jki/....

I restored the TestCaseTemplate.lvclass (it's LV8.2 now). Creating a new TestCase works now.

I do not know why the (class) files have been converted, whether this was done automatically or by accident. (Why did nobody else have this problem?)

You probably must look for a new place for the Templates (containing TestCaseTemplate and TestSuiteTemplate), maybe somewhere outside the LabVIEW dir. Or you keep the files in the old version and somehow hide them that they do not get converted (even not by accident). (wrong file extensions, write protect them, put in a zip file, ...)

My work around was to restore the template files from the vipm package (and hope). (I try to write protect them but this setting is copied to the new class, what is not what I want...)

restore from vipm package:

• open the vimp package with a zip program
    • or copy it and append the extension .zip, the double click

[*] in the zip file, the files are located in "File Group 0\resource\JKI\VI Tester\Templates\"

Greetings,

shb

• 1 month later...

I just messed up my installation again on an other computer. This time I fixed it by manually extracting the files from the vipm package.

But now I used the opportunity to examine:

• The original owning class is "TemplateTestCase.lvclass". It also was last time, I have checked in the attached file.
  • The problem seems to be that <resource> is a symbolic path in LV12. (Spotted in the class file attached to the original post.)
    • When the template files are converted to LV12, they do not contain relative links relative to themselves, but links relative to <resource>
    • When this files are copied or moved, their SubVIs still point to <resurces>/...
    • When the files are not converted, <resource> does not exist, so the problem does not occure.

I just tested this:

I opened and saved the TestCaseTemplate.lvclass to LV12. A new created TestCaseClass contains the VIs in the original location <resource>/jki/....

I restored the TestCaseTemplate.lvclass (it's LV8.2 now). Creating a new TestCase works now.

I do not know why the (class) files have been converted, whether this was done automatically or by accident. (Why did nobody else have this problem?)

You probably must look for a new place for the Templates (containing TestCaseTemplate and TestSuiteTemplate), maybe somewhere outside the LabVIEW dir. Or you keep the files in the old version and somehow hide them that they do not get converted (even not by accident). (wrong file extensions, write protect them, put in a zip file, ...)

My work around was to restore the template files from the vipm package (and hope). (I try to write protect them but this setting is copied to the new class, what is not what I want...)

restore from vipm package:

• open the vimp package with a zip program
    • or copy it and append the extension .zip, the double click

[*] in the zip file, the files are located in "File Group 0\resource\JKI\VI Tester\Templates\"

Greetings,

shb

I have this problem too, I tried to resolve it with your workaround but, How or Where can I download the "jki_labs_tool" package to open with a zip program?

Thank you !!!

I have this problem too, I tried to resolve it with your workaround but, How or Where can I download the "jki_labs_tool" package to open with a zip program?

Thank you !!!

The package is in

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\JKI\VIPM\databases\LV 12.0\jki_labs_tool_vi_tester

(when it is installed in LabVIEW 12.0)

It is named jki_labs_tool_vi_tester-*.ogp

It is (probably) also in the cache of the VI package manager: %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\JKI\VIPM\cache

You can open the package by clicking it with the right mouse button, selecting "Open with ..." and then select the zip program.

Or you can copy the package, rename it to ANYTHING.zip (ignoring the warning message) and open it by double clicking.

The path of the file in the zip file is "File Group 0\resource\JKI\VI Tester\Templates\TestCase\TemplateTestCase.lvclass"

Copy it to "LABVIEWDIR\resource\JKI\VI Tester\Templates\TestCase\"

Greetings,

shb

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived