Install problem with brand new dell laptop

So yes this may be a bit vague but I'm having a problem installing VIPM on a fresh laptop. First. LV is not installed. If this crashes everything stop me now and I'll go do that. (I need a specific version blah blah blah and it is in the works.) Ok so I have downloaded it from firefox, launched the exe. No problem. I get the welcome to the VI Package Manager 2014 setup wizard page. Click next. I accept the terms, next. Default folder, next. Unselect ugly desktop shortcut option, Install. Suddenly a pop-up arrives with "Open File - Security Warning" title asking me "Do you want to run this file?". I commonly see this when opening a downloaded file, not while in the installer that is running. Click run. Prompt says it is installing things and copying things. (this is when I'd get a user account prompt and it would kill something.)

Well. It worked on the third try while typing this up. Perhaps it's a UAC issue, still reproduced the strange downloaded file access prompt mid-install. I got this far so I'm not going to delete this, but do with it what you want. I'm happy I have things working now. I have a dozen new laptops that I would typically just re-image, but if there is value in reproducing these steps I can do that.

Thanks for recording your observations. Yes, it will be a real value to get more inputs on how to reproduce it. It will only help us to speed up the investigation and resolution in future build of VIPM.

Take some screenshots if you feel necessary to convey the information.

"Open File - Security Warning" title asking me "Do you want to run this file?". I commonly see this when opening a downloaded file, not while in the installer that is running. Click run. Prompt says it is installing things and copying things. (this is when I'd get a user account prompt and it would kill something.)

I think this is expected. I assume the warning states it's from a known publisher (JKI). Also, I assume the first or second install didn't work but the third did?

Archived