VIPM installation crashes

GlenS

Hi,

I'm trying to install VIPM 2.0.3 on an AMD64 running Ubuntu 8.04.1 with LabVIEW 8.2. I run the installer with "sudo ./vipm-2.0.3-linux". The installer runs but then appears to crash after the window asking for the installation directory (should be an "Installing" progress bar?). Last time this happened I tried 3 times to do the install and on the 3rd attempt it worked, even though I don't think I did anything differently. Unfortunately I discovered upon re-start my computer that the VIPM install apparently broke something in my OS and the computer was unusable. I just tried to install VIPM again (after OS re-install) and it has crashed again in the same manner. Not sure how the OS is going, I'll find out again on re-boot I'm sure.

Does anyone know what's going on or what I might do about it?

Thanks,

Glen

P.S. Just ran the installer 3 times and once again it worked on the third attempt. Weird.

Hi,

I'm trying to install VIPM 2.0.3 on an AMD64 running Ubuntu 8.04.1 with LabVIEW 8.2. I run the installer with "sudo ./vipm-2.0.3-linux". The installer runs but then appears to crash after the window asking for the installation directory (should be an "Installing" progress bar?). Last time this happened I tried 3 times to do the install and on the 3rd attempt it worked, even though I don't think I did anything differently. Unfortunately I discovered upon re-start my computer that the VIPM install apparently broke something in my OS and the computer was unusable. I just tried to install VIPM again (after OS re-install) and it has crashed again in the same manner. Not sure how the OS is going, I'll find out again on re-boot I'm sure.

Does anyone know what's going on or what I might do about it?

Thanks,

Glen

P.S. Just ran the installer 3 times and once again it worked on the third attempt. Weird.

Hi Glen,

Sorry for the trouble. I hope that the information on the known issue report was sufficient to help you work around this. Please let us know if you need further help.

Thanks,

-Jim

Hi Glen,

Sorry for the trouble. I hope that the information on the known issue report was sufficient to help you work around this. Please let us know if you need further help.

Thanks,

-Jim

Hi Jim,

No problem, these things happen. Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately though I now cannot get VIPM to start. From LabVIEW I select Tools -> "VI Package Manager..." and the LabVIEW windows closes but then immediately re-opens and VIPM does not start. I have tried launching it from the command line using "sudo ./VI\ Package\ Manager" and the VIPM splash screen appears and then disappears but the main window never opens. Control is also not passed back to the terminal window, which hangs until "Ctrl+C" is issued. Do you have any ideas as to what is wrong or how to fix this?

Cheers,

Glen

Glen,

I am sorry to hear that.

Please look in the folder where you install VIPM for a subfolder called Error. You should see a timestamped error log with more info about the issue you are experiencing. If you could post it here this might help.

Thanks

Philippe

Philippe,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I've been away from home for a few days. There were two error files, each seeming to contain different information:

========= START of VIPM Error Message =========

An internal VIPM Error has occured on: Tuesday January 27, 2009 at 02:35:48 PM

= Automated Message Start =

Error 42 occurred at (Timeout value exceeded!) 4E0CA8723C62FA1007F052D25E9516E9:1 in

C986C3749627EA4897F596A6B2B5BD63->VIPM Configure LV Port.vi->VIPM Add LV

Target.vi->DB54179D63709628953C0E7AEBD06939.lvlib:4880D2E1E14491FD44DD98FEB1319401->DB54179D63709628

953C0E7AEBD06939.lvlib:VIPM Options Window.vi->VIPM Main Window.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: Generic error.

= Automated Message End =

= User Defined Message Start =

Testing the connection from the configure port dialog.

= User Defined Message End =

= Call Chain Start =

VIPM Main Window.vi->DB54179D63709628953C0E7AEBD06939.lvlib:VIPM Options Window.vi->DB54179D63709628953C0E7AEBD06939.lvlib:4880D2E1E14491FD44DD98FEB1319401->VIPM Add LV Target.vi->VIPM Configure LV Port.vi

= Call Chain End =

========= END of VIPM Error Message =========

An internal VIPM Error has occured on: Tuesday January 27, 2009 at 02:39:05 PM

Error 66 occurred at Open Application Reference in C986C3749627EA4897F596A6B2B5BD63->VIPM Configure

LV Port.vi->VIPM Add LV

Target.vi->DB54179D63709628953C0E7AEBD06939.lvlib:4880D2E1E14491FD44DD98FEB1319401->DB54179D63709628

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: The network connection was closed by the peer. If you are using the Open VI Reference

function on a remote VI Server connection, verify that the machine is allowed access by selecting

Tools>>Options>>VI Server:Machine Access on the server side.

= Call Chain Start =

VIPM Main Window.vi->DB54179D63709628953C0E7AEBD06939.lvlib:VIPM Options Window.vi->DB54179D63709628953C0E7AEBD06939.lvlib:4880D2E1E14491FD44DD98FEB1319401->VIPM Add LV Target.vi->VIPM Configure LV Port.vi

= Call Chain End =

An internal VIPM Error has occured on: Tuesday January 27, 2009 at 02:40:33 PM

Error 66 occurred at Open Application Reference in C986C3749627EA4897F596A6B2B5BD63->VIPM Configure

LV Port.vi->VIPM Add LV

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: The network connection was closed by the peer. If you are using the Open VI Reference

function on a remote VI Server connection, verify that the machine is allowed access by selecting

Tools>>Options>>VI Server:Machine Access on the server side.

= Call Chain Start =

= Call Chain End =

And the second file:

An internal VIPM Error has occured on: Thursday January 29, 2009 at 11:20:34 AM

Error 1 occurred at Property Node (arg 1) in

F895A6131386EDA988DF67E4DD5D4CF8->5FDEC8E71775518FED4B00F9641334A7->VIPM Main Window.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: An input parameter is invalid. For example if the input is a path, the path might contain

a character not allowed by the OS such as ? or @.

=========================

NI-488: Command requires GPIB Controller to be Controller-In-Charge.

Main Window front panel state OPEN.

= Call Chain Start =

VIPM Main Window.vi

= Call Chain End =

Thanks for the help,

Glen

Addendum to the previous post: I have tried to start VIPM again and the same thing happens but when I check the error directory no extra log files are present, just the two from Jan 27 and Jan 29. Looking at the text of the error messages they seem to be related to the VI Machine Access settings (which took me a while to get set up but which now conform to the VIPM installation instructions) (I think).

Glen,

Thanks for the log file.

We will try to see if we can replicate this and fix it.

Out of curiosity, what kind of screen resolution are you running at on your linux box? Do you have multiple monitor?

Philippe

Philippe,

Currently I am running 1280 x 800. I tried 1024 x 768 but there was no difference in the behaviour of the program. The linux box is a laptop with an AMD64 X2 processor, no dual monitor. Also, no extra error log files have appeared since the original two I posted, despite me trying to start VIPM many times. Not sure if that's significant. Thanks for the help, please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Cheers,

Glen

Okay, I have been able to get VIPM to start from within LabVIEW by issuing the command 'gksudo labview' from a termainal. VIPM will then start from Tools -> VI Package Manager... I have managed to install the LabPython package but not ogrsc_dynamicpalette. When I try to install the latter VIPM re-launches LabVIEW (despite there being an instance already open) and then says "trying to connect to labview... timeout in xxx seconds". It then proceeds to timeout and can't connect. I think the issue is with root permissions being passed and remaining open but I haven't been able to get any further than this. Hope this helps.

Glen

Hi Glen,

Sorry about the slow responses. As you might imagine, this is a tricky issue and tough for us to diagnose remotely.

No problem, I appreciate the help, just trying to give you what information I have, I understand that this one is probably going to be difficult to repeat on another machine.

Yes, if you're running VIPM as the root user and VIPM launches LabVIEW, then LabVIEW will be running as the root user.

Thanks,

-Jim

So is this merely a problem with the permissions? Certainly every step that's moved me closer to getting this running so far has been to do with changing permissions somewhere.

Thanks again,

Glen

No problem, I appreciate the help, just trying to give you what information I have, I understand that this one is probably going to be difficult to repeat on another machine.

So is this merely a problem with the permissions? Certainly every step that's moved me closer to getting this running so far has been to do with changing permissions somewhere.

Thanks again,

Glen

Hi Glen,

Yes, I think this is a permissions issue and will be very tough to diagnose over the forums. Please, send us your email and phone number via our contact form and I'll follow-up with you, off-line.

Thanks,

-Jim

• 5 years later...

Archived