Jim C

best practice re:command macros

I've got a strong feeling that I should not put more than one command into the queue unless it's defined as a macro (in the Macro section).

I'm working on a program now that has to execute a sequence of steps for each UUT, and I've put that sequence in as Macro: process UUT. This lets me see the entire sequence in one place. Any commands I insert into the sequence are, therefore, known to be deviations from the expected sequence as I handle non-typical data. This also lets me get the same functionality from multiple entry points without duplicating code.

I worry that I'm worrying too much! How do you do this?

Thanks,

Jim

PS ~ I've made one convert to the JKI State Machine. I would've had two, except the other guy can't use Event Structures (license).

I've got a strong feeling that I should not put more than one command into the queue unless it's defined as a macro (in the Macro section).

I'm working on a program now that has to execute a sequence of steps for each UUT, and I've put that sequence in as Macro: process UUT. This lets me see the entire sequence in one place. Any commands I insert into the sequence are, therefore, known to be deviations from the expected sequence as I handle non-typical data. This also lets me get the same functionality from multiple entry points without duplicating code.

I worry that I'm worrying too much! How do you do this?

Thanks,

Jim

PS ~ I've made one convert to the JKI State Machine. I would've had two, except the other guy can't use Event Structures (license).

Hi Jim,

I'm glad to hear that you're out there spreading the JKI State Machine love :) Hopefully some day (soon?) the Event Structure will be usable in the base version of LabVIEW.

Regarding Macros, my general rule is that whenever I have a sequence of steps that I need to use in more than on place, I create a macro. That's unless I know that I'll eventually use it in more than one place -- in that case I'll make it a macro pro-actively.

Thanks,

-Jim K