Dependencies

cbL

I have a bad memory [and my apologies if I've already mentioned this B)].

I keep forgetting to update my package dependencies before I re-build my package. As a result, on a lab machine where I have several packages 'deployed', I kind of messed myself up. I know if I remembered to update my project vipc file, I could've avoided this.

So I'm going to try to remember update dependencies on package re-build, but could the VIPB help me remember? Or maybe optionally update the dependencies when the package is rebuilt?

Cheers

I keep forgetting to update my package dependencies before I re-build my package. As a result, on a lab machine where I have several packages 'deployed', I kind of messed myself up. I know if I remembered to update my project vipc file, I could've avoided this.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm happy that VIPM is useful enough to you that you're running into use cases like this! B)

We've run into this situation inside JKI, too, and we've got some ideas about how to deal with it. We're working on integrating VIPM more closely with the LabVIEW project environment, just like we're doing with VI Tester (see blog post). That will probably include ways for VIPM to, for instance, remind you when you need to do things like scan your project for dependencies.

Hi cbL,

I figured that I would expand on Justin's response a little...

We're currently working on (and JKI engineers are internally using) new features that will give VIPM visibility into your LabVIEW projects (*.lvproj). For example, VIPM will be able to automatically apply your VI Package Configuration before you start working on a project and it will be able to scan your project to see if there are any changes to your VI Package Configuration when you close your project.

You'll also be able to take advantage of these features when working on your VI Packages by creating a LabVIEW Project for each of your VI Package source files. (Note that the VI Package Builder in VIPM currently only asks you to apply your VI Package Configuration before you build your package.)

I guess that we could go one more step and prompt you when new dependencies are found and let you configure them as either an internal or an external dependencies.

How does this sounds?

Thanks,

-Jim

• 1 month later...
I guess that we could go one more step and prompt you when new dependencies are found and let you configure them as either an internal or an external dependencies.

How does this sounds?

All this sounds quite useful. I've been using the dialog box that asks me if "like to apply changes to my package icons" as a sign I should probably check the dependencies too.

Another possibility is that VI Package Builder could ask you to Apply your VI Package Configuration when you open a VI Package Source folder and it could ask you to Scan for Dependencies before you close your VI Package Source folder.

Yes, I think it would be good to Scan for Dependencies at those times. Plus, I think there should be a Scan for Dependencies before the build of your package.

Hmmm, [complete tangent warning] perhaps the Dependencies tab could do something like what happens in the main VIPM window icons, when a new version of a package is available. Provide some indication that the dependency is not using the latest version of the package. This difference could be correct (intended by the developer) or indicate that the dependencies are out of sync. Perhaps then all these auto scans aren't really as necessary? The developer controls when scans happen.

cbl

• 2 weeks later...
All this sounds quite useful. I've been using the dialog box that asks me if "like to apply changes to my package icons" as a sign I should probably check the dependencies too.

Yes, I think it would be good to Scan for Dependencies at those times. Plus, I think there should be a Scan for Dependencies before the build of your package.

Hmmm, [complete tangent warning] perhaps the Dependencies tab could do something like what happens in the main VIPM window icons, when a new version of a package is available. Provide some indication that the dependency is not using the latest version of the package. This difference could be correct (intended by the developer) or indicate that the dependencies are out of sync. Perhaps then all these auto scans aren't really as necessary? The developer controls when scans happen.

cbl

These are good ideas. And, we're actively working to make this better. I'll ping you off-line when we're ready get some feedback on our plans.

Archived