Graphical package dependancy diagram

crelf

Just thinking out loud (I haven't thought this through exhaustively): I'd like a diagram that showed me package dependancies. It's great to have a list of all the dependancies in my project, but I'd like to know what packages depend on other packages - it'd really help with reuse library management.

Just thinking out loud (I haven't thought this through exhaustively): I'd like a diagram that showed me package dependancies. It's great to have a list of all the dependancies in my project, but I'd like to know what packages depend on other packages - it'd really help with reuse library management.

That's a great idea -- I'd love to be able to see a dependency graph, too.

Displaying the graph in a diagram would be nice, but I'm imagining that it would take a bit of work to do (e.g., in a Picture Control). Maybe a simple solution, for starters, would be a "dependency browser" that lists all the dependencies of a package. Then, if you double-click on any package in the list, it would "navigate into" that package and list its dependencies. This solution would let you crawl the dependency graph, but wouldn't really allow you to visualize all the dependencies (e.g., in ways that make things like circular dependencies obvious or see all packages that depend on a given package).

Can you identify some of the questions that you'd like to be able to answer and what the answer will enable you to do? For example, one question that I'd like to know is: "Which packages (or projects) depend on a given package?" This would be useful for knowing how changes to a package would impact other packages (or projects).

Note that we're actively working on tools that will help you answer such questions, so it's a great time to send us your ideas B)

Thanks,

• 2 months later...
Can you identify some of the questions that you'd like to be able to answer and what the answer will enable you to do? For example, one question that I'd like to know is: "Which packages (or projects) depend on a given package?" This would be useful for knowing how changes to a package would impact other packages (or projects).

Exactly - I can currently see a first generation map of the dependancies of my packages, and then a second generation (listed as an auto-dependancy), but it'd be nice to see how they all linked together (including version information).

Exactly - I can currently see a first generation map of the dependancies of my packages, and then a second generation (listed as an auto-dependancy), but it'd be nice to see how they all linked together (including version information).

I think you're still describing a feature, rather than a use case :)

Can you tell me what task you are trying to achieve, and what information will help you?

The reason that I ask is that a general purpose visualization tool would be cool, but it won't be easy. However, we're actively working on several features that will help you answer specific questions, related to dependencies. So, I want to make sure that I understand which points in the development work-flow you're at and what questions you'd like answered.

I'll give you a hint at some of the things we're working on. We'd like to provide answers to several questions:

• Which packages does a project use?
  • Which projects use a package? (keep in mind that a project can be the source code for a VI Package)
  • For a given project:
    • which VIs call a given package
    • which VIs call which VIs in a given package

Thanks,

Archived