A General Question about the Expire Date

dannyt

Hi,

I am newish to LabView and have been reading with great interest the information on the OpenG site and have ended up on here in VI Package Manager land, I am very interested in this tools and the OpenG build application (my background is Configuration Control / build Release ), I am looking forward to linking the Open build into my ClearCase system. :D

I am very keen to use the VI Package Manager, I understand your intention to have a Community edition for free and a professional edition at a cost this is a reasonably common model; what I do not quite understand is the expire date on the Community edition. I feel a little nervous starting to use a 'free' tool that will expire in 18 days from when I start using it, the expire date on the community edition seems a little at odds with the OpenG model.

Reading other posts I think this expire date is because this is only a beta release and I guess you are trying to force all users to update through your beta's.

This is not intended as a criticism I would just like a little understanding on this point, it will help me as I am trying to persuade other this is the way to go.

It can often bit a little difficult trying to get some companies to buy into the concept of open source with it great values and benefits and I have already had a manger looking over my shoulder saying 'oh do we have to buy it when it expire'

cheers

Danny T

Archived