Package Dependencies Missing

EricO

Hi,

We have several packages in our code library that do not seem to detect the correct dependencies. So when the package is installed, it includes copies of VIs that should be sourced from other installed packages. This can cause problems when the VIs in question are used for sharing data.

I'm using VIP Professional 2.0.3 with LabVIEW 8.5.1

There also seems to be a disconnect in the .vipc and the .vipb files. The VI Package Configuration file does not list all dependencies (see attachment .vipc.png), but they're present in the .vipb file:

nirsc_html_help_common >= 2.0

oglib_appcontrol >= 2.10

oglib_array >= 2.7

oglib_error >= 2.3

oglib_file >= 2.8

oglib_lvdata >= 2.9

oglib_string >= 2.6

ogrsc_dynamicpalette >= 0.17

sbr_lib_50-01_typedef >= 1.0.9

sbr_lib_50-02_globals >= 1.0.9

sbr_lib_50-04_file >= 1.0.5

sbr_lib_50-05_error >= 1.0.1

sbr_lib_50-12_timing >= 1.0.2

This LLB installed by VIPM contains two files that should be from dependent packages (attachment package_llb.png). They're obvious from the double package suffix.

When I manually specify the missing packages by dragging them from VIPM to the VIPC Editor, the files are not included in the package.

Thanks,

Eric

.vipc.png

package_llb.png

Hi Eric,

> We have several packages in our code library that do not seem to detect the correct dependencies. So when the package is installed, it includes copies of VIs that should be sourced from other installed packages.

Have you set the dependencies to be "External" (this prevents VIs from being built into the package) in the Dependencies tab of the Advanced Build Settings?

internal_dependency.png Internal Dependency

external_dependency.png External Dependency

See here for a detailed explanation:

http://jkisoft.com/vipm/guide/managing-package-dependencies/

> There also seems to be a disconnect in the .vipc and the .vipb files. The VI Package Configuration file does not list all dependencies (see attachment .vipc.png), but they're present in the .vipb file:

This is by design and might change in a future release of VIPM -- the .vipb sometimes contains packages that are no longer in the .vipc file.

Please let me know if setting the package dependencies to External Dependencies fixes the issue for you.

Thanks,

-Jim

Have you set the dependencies to be "External" (this prevents VIs from being built into the package) in the Dependencies tab of the Advanced Build Settings?

Hi Jim,

One of the problem packages indeed had the dependencies listed as internal.

Setting the dependency to external in the VI Package Builder prevented the inclusion of externally packaged VIs. When doing the dependency search, I was prompted to remove the packages I'd added manually. Removing those manual dependencies still resulted in a package built with local copies of VIs from other packages.

Thanks,

Eric

When doing the dependency search, I was prompted to remove the packages I'd added manually. Removing those manual dependencies still resulted in a package built with local copies of VIs from other packages.

Hi Eric,

This is one area that we're working on. VI Packages in a VIPC that are not being called by your project will be suggested for removal after doing a scan project for dependencies. We're working on adding a way for VIPM to know that you added the VI Packages Manually, rather than through a scan project. Also, we're looking at ways for you to specify dependencies that are not listed in the VI Package Configuration (.vipc) file. For now, you'll need to work around this, by ignoring VIPM's suggestions to remove the packages after a scan project for dependencies.

Does this help you resolve all your issues, or is there still a problem with dependencies getting build into the package? Just to be clear, any packages marked as External Dependencies in the dependencies list of the VI Package Builder's Advanced Build Settings dialog should not be built into the package? Are you seeing something that contradicts this?

Thanks,

Hi Jim,

I was still having trouble with VIs not being included even after manually adding them to the .vipc, but that seemed to be caused by the dependencies being set as internal.

I'm happy at this stage to manually specify packages, I'm not seeing any contradiction in the expected behavior.

Thanks for your help,

Eric

Hi Jim,

I was still having trouble with VIs not being included even after manually adding them to the .vipc, but that seemed to be caused by the dependencies being set as internal.

I'm happy at this stage to manually specify packages, I'm not seeing any contradiction in the expected behavior.

Thanks for your help,

Eric

OK, great. Thanks for taking the time to report your experience. It helps us know where we can make things easier to use.

Thanks,

Archived