Linux installer vanishes

Hi there,

I'm trying to install the VI Package Manager, but for some reason when I get to the installing stage, the installer disappears without quitting - leaving me with an occupied prompt. The thing that is perplexing me is that there are no error messages, or messages of any kind produced - I just click install and the window vanishes. It creates the installation directory but it remains empty, so there are no log files there. I found some logs in /tmp and I found one that seems to apply:

LabVIEW_Failure_Log.root.txt:

####

#Date: Tue, Jun 02, 2009 08:36:18 PM

#Desc: LabVIEW caught fatal signal

8.2.1 - Received SIGSEGV

Reason: address not mapped to object

Attempt to reference address: 0x12d50c14

#RCS: unspecified

#OSName: Linux

#OSVers: 2.6.24-23-generic

#AppName: /tmp/lvtemp298dir/installer

#Version: 8.2.1

#AppKind: AppLib

All other log files that might apply (installer_8.2.1_root_cur.txt, installer_8.2.1_root_log.txt, vipm-2.0.3-linux_8.2.1_root_cur.txt, vipm-2.0.3-linux_8.2.1_root_log.txt in /tmp) all contain essentially the same thing:

####

#Date: Tue, Jun 02, 2009 08:36:09 PM

#OSName: Linux

#OSVers: 2.6.24-23-generic

#AppName: ./vipm-2.0.3-linux

#Version: 8.2.1

#AppKind: AppLib

and nothing after that.

Seems like it could be a LabVIEW runtime problem, but I thought I'd check here first. Best find I could find regarding a LV SIGSEGV is at http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/A2D...6256EBD005B31D2 (or forum posts pointing there) whose solution does not work. Am I barking up the right tree? Should I try hassling NI about it?

Oh, and I'm running Ubuntu 8.04.2 with LabVIEW runtime 8.2.1 (downloaded and installed this evening).

Any advice for further debug would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Martijn

Hi Martijn,

I found this thread on NI.com where a user was experiencing segmentation a fault on Ubuntu. The solution that the user found was to upgrade to a stable release of Ubuntu.

NI support might be able to provide you with more answers (or at least point you in some good directions). It will probably be tricky to pinpoint the problem, as segmentation faults can be caused by a number of things. Of course, it might be as simple as changing to a different version/build of Ubuntu.

Good luck and please keep us posted as to whether you're able to resolve the issue.

Thanks,

-Jim

Archived