Create "meta" functions palette like the OpenG palette

Hi all,

I'm new to VIPM and have a lot of questions. My first is: how do I create a "meta" functions palette like the OpenG palette?

I have already build a lot of reusable VIs organized more or less in the same way as the standard LabVIEW VIs (Array, Numeric Element, and so on). Now that I have my fingers on VIPM I want to build packages of these VIs and give access to them in the same way as OpenG does: A new palette directly in the functions palette and below it the palettes of my packages. I know how to do this by hand in LabVIEW (and I already have done it), but now I want to do this in VIPM.

This is certainly something others have asked before, but I could not find it with the search function.

Thanks for any help.

Marc

Hi all,

I'm new to VIPM and have a lot of questions. My first is: how do I create a "meta" functions palette like the OpenG palette?

I have already build a lot of reusable VIs organized more or less in the same way as the standard LabVIEW VIs (Array, Numeric Element, and so on). Now that I have my fingers on VIPM I want to build packages of these VIs and give access to them in the same way as OpenG does: A new palette directly in the functions palette and below it the palettes of my packages. I know how to do this by hand in LabVIEW (and I already have done it), but now I want to do this in VIPM.

This is certainly something others have asked before, but I could not find it with the search function.

Thanks for any help.

Marc

Hi Marc,

I can help you out. I'll email you some information.

Thanks,

-Jim

• 2 months later...
I'm also trying to create a "meta" functions palette like the OpenG and JKI palette to put all the company re-use code in, can you help out please?

I can tell you how I made this. I'm using LV8.5, therefore I have to create the meta palette by hand, since with LV8.5 you cannot create palettes with VIs. I used the palette editor to create my palette at the planned location (<lvfolder>\menus\categories) and set it to synchronize with the folder, where I place all my reusable VIs and palettes. Then I used the OpenG Package builder to create a package, which only contains my .mnu file. I make all my packages to depend on this palette package.

I also did this for my control packages.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Marc

• 6 months later...

Jim,

Could you please also send information on this to me.

We're looking to create a TAV palette and then have items such as Numeric, Pointer and Frameworks under it. Each of these items will be distributed as an individual package.

So far so good with VIPM, the response from many of my team who haven't used it before has been simply......WOW !

Regards

Chris

Jim,

Could you please also send information on this to me.

We're looking to create a TAV palette and then have items such as Numeric, Pointer and Frameworks under it. Each of these items will be distributed as an individual package.

So far so good with VIPM, the response from many of my team who haven't used it before has been simply......WOW !

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

> So far so good with VIPM, the response from many of my team who haven't used it before has been simply......WOW !

Wonderful! That puts a big smile on my face ;)

I'm very happy to hear that VIPM Enterprise is being well received by your team.

> Could you please also send information on this to me.

Sure! I originally posted this info here. I'll post it again (below). I hope it's helpful to you.

Here's how we do it. Please check out the attached example:

Custom_Palette_Category_Example.zip

This includes the following:

acme_rsc_palette-1.0-1.ogp (file)

A package that adds an Acme Tools category to the Functions Palette.

Palette Category Package Source (folder)

Run "Example - Build Palette Package.vi" to create the "acme_rsc_palette-1.0-1.ogp" package. You can edit the parameters in the constant on the block diagram. Edit "icon.bmp" to change the icon.

acme_lib_example_vi_package-1.0.0-1.vip (file)

An example package that gets added to the Acme Palette.

Example VI Package Source (folder)

VI Package Source Folder for the " acme_lib_example_vi_package-1.0.0-1.vip" package.

Other notes:

• acme_lib_example_vi_package-1.0.0-1.vip has a dependency on the acme_rsc_palette package.
  • the acme_lib_example_vi_package package uses a custom installation location: \addons\_Acme.lib

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jim,

Thanks for that but I must be missing the point (or perhaps it's just getting late).

I followed the examples and created a new OGP file, let's call it the TAV_Tools_palette for now and then created an VI package including several functions and a single control item. I then installed both and although my new palette item "TAV Tools" is created it does not contain my VI package. The source vi's are correctly installed into vi.lib\addons\_My Package.llb as expected.

Anything obvious that I may have missed in the example ?

Regards

Chris

Jim,

Thanks for that but I must be missing the point (or perhaps it's just getting late).

I followed the examples and created a new OGP file, let's call it the TAV_Tools_palette for now and then created an VI package including several functions and a single control item. I then installed both and although my new palette item "TAV Tools" is created it does not contain my VI package. The source vi's are correctly installed into vi.lib\addons\_My Package.llb as expected.

Anything obvious that I may have missed in the example ?

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry for the delay in response. Where are you installing the palette MNU files of your "My Package"? You need to make sure that these are being put into the folder where your root palette MNU file is looking, for example ("\addons\_YOURCOMPANY.lib").

If you're still having trouble, please email me your package sources (off-line) and I'll take a closer look.

Thanks,

-Jim

Jim,

It was my error as expected after all. It's amazing what a good nigths sleep will do for you.

All is fine now and the TAV Palette is now looking really good.

Thanks for following up on this however.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes, sleep does wonders!

I'm glad to hear this is working for you, now. Hopefully you'll have time to work on more fun things like building packages ;)

Cheers,

-Jim

Archived