Problems installing OpenG in LabVIEW 8.6

I am having trouble installing OpenG using VIPM 2.0.3. The circumstances are slightly unusual. I have both a desktop and a laptop PC, both running Windows XP SP3, both less than a year old. I'd previously installed several versions of LabVIEW on both PCs (7.0, 8.5.1, and 8.6), and successfully installed OpenG using VIPM 2.0.3 for all three systems. For complicated reasons, I uninstalled LabVIEW (all versions) from both machines, then reinstalled OabVIEW 7.0 and 8.6. I successfully installed OpenG with VIPM 2.0.3 for both versions on the desktop, but am having problems installing on the laptop. I installed all of the OpenG packaged available for LabVIEW 7.0 without any problems, but when I tried to install the 8.6 packages, I got the VIPM Batch Install Error, telling me about making sure the VI Server settings (TCP) were correct. I checked, they are as outlined in the VIPM support pages (and are the same as on my desktop). In fact, when I start VIPM to install the 8.6 packages, it does open 8.6 (suggesting the VI Server settings are correct). I'm using "LocalHost" as the Machine Access name. I did try to install one or two packages "by hand" (i.e. selected one package and trying to install), and can get some of them to install, but the batch install fails. Rather than try doing them one-at-a-time, I'd like to learn why I can't (re-)install OpenG on my LabVIEW 8.6 system using VIPM 2.0.3. [Maybe I did something wrong in re-installing 8.6?]

Bob Schor

Jim,

1) I'm running LabVIEW 8.6 (on all three machines, including this laptop, the only one with the problem).

2) The options are set as per your suggestion (i.e. TCP is enabled, the Machine Access is LocalHost, and the Exported VI is *.

3) The behavior (unfortunately) is the same. I'm going to try the "uninstall/reinstall" route, and maybe install the 8.6 OpenG stuff first (although on my other machines, I'm pretty sure I did 7.0, then 8.6).

Bob

Jim,

An uninstall/reinstall of VIPM didn't help. Installation seemed to be OK, but when I tried to install packages under 8.6, I got the same error. Sigh. Guess I'll give up on the laptop for LabVIEW stuff until we figure this out ...

BS

Hi Bob,

It seems that we've exhausted most of the easy possible solutions. Please contact us and we can discuss other options.

Thanks,

-Jim

Jim,

That was my worry, too. I've decided that somehow I blew the LabVIEW installations. I'm currently removing all versions, scrubbing the registry, and re-installing. I'm 95% confident that will fix it -- will certainly let you know either way ...

BS

Jim,

I have Good News, and Bad News. I uninstalled ALL of my LabVIEW versions, deleted directories, and cleaned out the Registry. I then installed LabVIEW 7.0 (I'm maintaining some "legacy" code) and LabVIEW 8.6. I then crossed my fingers and installed VIPM, and tried to load the OpenG libraries. SUCCESS!! Don't quite know why I couldn't do this previously, but clearly something was amiss.

But we're not quite out of the woods. I have a project that uses Easy-XML (written in LabVIEW 8.6). When I try to open it on my laptop (the machine in question), it can't find the Easy-XML routines. Here's what I know:

1) VIPM shows Easy-XML installed (jki_lib_easyxml, Version 1.0, Release 2). It also shows jki_rsc_toolkits_palette, version 1.1 installed.

2) I can find packages installed for both of these in my JKI\Package Manager folder in Program Files.

3) There is an OpenG palette on the Block Diagram, but it doesn't have Easy-XML (nor do I expect it to).

4) There is a JKI Toolkits palette on the Block Diagram, but it also doesn't have Easy-XML. It does have JKI State Machine and JKI VI Tester, however.

5) Now that I think about it, where is the Tortoise-SVN stuff? It also is nowhere to be found.

6) If I try a "Get Info" in VIPM, it shows me "details" about Easy-XML (and also jki_tool_tortoisesvn, also not-to-be-found).

I've managed to get everything to work on my desktops -- is there a known gremlin that only infects laptops? Or people whose initials are BS?

Bob Schor

Hi Bob,

Thanks for all the info. Again, I'm so sorry to hear that you've had to do so much re-installing trying to get this working.

Can you please do the following?

1) In VIPM, check the network for package updates to ensure that VIPM knows about all the latest packages that are available. You can do this by selecting

2) In VIPM, uninstall EasyXML and then re-install it

Now, try opening your project.

My suspicion is that you uninstalled LabVIEW and removed some previously installed packages. The preferred operation for uninstalling LabVIEW is to first uninstall all packages in VIPM and then uninstall LabVIEW. Otherwise, VIPM doesn't know that you've deleted installed package VIs when you uninstalled LabVIEW.

Please let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

-Jim

Hooray! Two LabVIEW solutions in one day! I've just gotten a "legacy" application that inexplicitly "died" a few months ago, and got it working today (it was, among other things, a wierd TCP/IP "thing" communicating with an NI PXI system and a PC), and, thanks to Jim's excellent help, I now have Easy-XML working (again) on my laptop! Now to do some work ...

Bob Schor

Hooray! Two LabVIEW solutions in one day! I've just gotten a "legacy" application that inexplicitly "died" a few months ago, and got it working today (it was, among other things, a wierd TCP/IP "thing" communicating with an NI PXI system and a PC), and, thanks to Jim's excellent help, I now have Easy-XML working (again) on my laptop! Now to do some work ...

Bob Schor

Hi Bob,

Great! Now, you're all ready to work over the holiday weekend :D

Cheers,

-Jim

Archived