installing VIPM 2.0.3 on Mac OS 10.4.11 (PPC) with LV 8.5

When I start the installer, the LV 8.2 runtime engine splash screen shows.

That's fine, but when it disappears, the installer asks me to open a Labview file.

It doesn't accept Labview.app, or just any old VI.

I found an LLB inside the app (through "show contents"), but I can't load the top-level VI ("setup-splash.vi").

Here's the error message:

00000032.png

LabVIEW: VI is not loadable.

In a built application, this error might occur because the VI being loaded was last compiled for a different OS, in which case you must save the VI on the current platform. This error might occur if the VI is a polymorphic VI, which cannot be loaded in the Labview Run-Time Engine. You must load an instance of the polymorphic VI instead of the polymorphic VI itself.

An error occurred loading VI 'setup splash.vi'.

LabVIEW load error code 22: This VI was compiled on another platform and can only be loaded in the full development version of LabVIEW.

Here's what happens if I try to open it with LV 8.5

00000033.png

(I'll summarize this time)

An error occurred loading VI 'setup splash.vi'.

LabVIEW load error code 11: VI version (8.2.1) cannot be converted to the current LabVIEW version (8.5) because it has no block diagram.

When I open the LLB, it won't show any files (and I actually have to force-quite Labview).

I've also attached the mass compile log.

I installed VIPM 1.0, and that installed well (and seems to work), however, I'm under the impression that many VI packages are not available with VIPM 1.0.

Any help would be quite excellent.

vipm_2.0.3.app_mass_compile.log.zip

Hi Marshal,

I'm not sure what's causing this issue. Did the VIPM installer run OK? Is this just an issue with the "VI Package Manager.app"?

Also, I think that VIPM 2.0 might only work on Mac Intel. We haven't done any testing on PPC.

Yes, you're right that many of the newer packages will not install using VIPM 1.0.

Thanks,

-Jim

This is the installer.

I tried opening the LLB or the file on OS 10.5 (intel), but I got the same errors. However, the installer worked fine on the intel mac.

I copied the installed files from the intel mac to the ppc mac, but when I tried opening it, it started the installer (the errors were no different, either).

After trying the installer on an intel OS 10.4 mac, I believe there's both a ppc problem and a 10.4 problem.

The 10.4 problem is the prompting for a Labview file.

The ppc problem seems to be the way it evokes an error when you select a VI that can't be loaded.

(I'll try to get a video of it on the OS 10.4 intel, but I have to update Quicktime first to be compatible with Jing)

I attached the mass-compile error log from the 10.4 intel, but I don't think it's any different. (I don't think it's different for the 10.5 intel, for that matter. I'm starting to wonder why that one worked in the first place.)

This is the installer.

I tried opening the LLB or the file on OS 10.5 (intel), but I got the same errors. However, the installer worked fine on the intel mac.

I copied the installed files from the intel mac to the ppc mac, but when I tried opening it, it started the installer (the errors were no different, either).

After trying the installer on an intel OS 10.4 mac, I believe there's both a ppc problem and a 10.4 problem.

The ppc problem seems to be the way it evokes an error when you select a VI that can't be loaded.

(I'll try to get a video of it on the OS 10.4 intel, but I have to update Quicktime first to be compatible with Jing)

I attached the mass-compile error log from the 10.4 intel, but I don't think it's any different. (I don't think it's different for the 10.5 intel, for that matter. I'm starting to wonder why that one worked in the first place.)

Thanks for your help debugging this issue, please let us know any other info you find!

This is the installer.

Hi Marshal

One of our engineers (Omar Mussa, who just replied to this thread) has confirmed that VIPM 2.0 won't install on Mac PPC. And, I'm not sure if there's anything we can do about that, since this seems to be a LabVIEW issue.

Note: you should not do any mass compiling with the LabVIEW Development environment, nor should you do anything to the LLBs inside the .app files. This is a "built" application and it will only run with the LabVIEW run-time engine. Nothing you do in the LabVIEW Development environment can fix the issue, since the VIs inside the LLB inside the .app have no block diagrams.

Also, I'm pretty sure that if you download the Mac installer from our website and install it on Mac Intel, it should work. Please don't try installing anything that you've already attempted to mass compile using LabVIEW. The .app might have become corrupt.

Thanks,

-Jim

Well, you are right about corrupting the files through mass compilation.

I downloaded a fresh copy of VIPM to the intel mac running OS 10.4, and it found the file an initialized just fine.

The only error during installation was

Error 6 occurred at List FOlder in Temporary Filename__oftk.vi->Setup Main - UI - .vi

Possible reason(s):

Labview: Generic file I/O error.

============================

NI-488: I/O operation aborted.

However, it finished installation, and I haven't found any problems yet.

I guess VIPM 1.0 will just have to do for my old ibook.

From some of the older posts in this forum, it looks like VIPM 1.1 wasn't released for OSX because VIPM 2.0 was released before that happened. Is this correct?

Well, you are right about corrupting the files through mass compilation.

I downloaded a fresh copy of VIPM to the intel mac running OS 10.4, and it found the file an initialized just fine.

The only error during installation was

However, it finished installation, and I haven't found any problems yet.

I guess VIPM 1.0 will just have to do for my old ibook.

From some of the older posts in this forum, it looks like VIPM 1.1 wasn't released for OSX because VIPM 2.0 was released before that happened. Is this correct?

Hi Marshal,

I'm glad you were able to get it going on mac intel.

Yes, from what I recall, we decided to wait for 2.0 to bring back support for Mac. It's sometimes a major effort to get everything working and building correctly.

Thanks,

-Jim

Archived