Scan Folder(s) for packages

Hi,

it would be cool, if I could configure VIPM to scan one or more directories for new and updated packages.

Regards,

Marc

Hi Marc,

Can you explain a little more about what you'd like to see VIPM do here?

VIPM can scan folders to see which packages (that are currently installed) are being used (in the Package Configuration Edtor window). It let's you use this information to create and manage a VI Package Configuration (.vipc) file. When you open the VIPC file, you can easily see which packages have newer versions available (they have a star overlay on the package glyph).

Thanks,

-Jim

Can you explain a little more about what you'd like to see VIPM do here?

The idea is, that I build packages and place them in a folder on a network drive. My colleagues start VIPM, VIPM scans the folder, bingo, there is an update.

VIPM can scan folders to see which packages (that are currently installed) are being used (in the Package Configuration Edtor window). It let's you use this information to create and manage a VI Package Configuration (.vipc) file. When you open the VIPC file, you can easily see which packages have newer versions available (they have a star overlay on the package glyph).

If I do understand you correct, I create a VI Package Configuration (.vipc) file, which includes all my packages. My colleagues use this file to install all packages. If I update any package, I update the .vipc file, too. My colleagues open the updated .vipc file and bingo, they get all updates?

Regards,

Marc

The idea is, that I build packages and place them in a folder on a network drive. My colleagues start VIPM, VIPM scans the folder, bingo, there is an update.

We are working on a solution to this problem which we've called 'VIPM Enterprise'. VIPM Pro customers can contact us for a private Beta copy to evaluate it. Basically, with VIPM Enterprise, we help to create a 'Package Repository' where you can publish your packages. When you have published them, your colleagues can see the new packages by doing a VIPM 'Check for Updates' just like VIPM currently can check to see if JKI has released packages to the VI Package Network.

If I do understand you correct, I create a VI Package Configuration (.vipc) file, which includes all my packages. My colleagues use this file to install all packages. If I update any package, I update the .vipc file, too. My colleagues open the updated .vipc file and bingo, they get all updates?

Yes, this is correct. The way that your colleagues will 'get' the updates is to 'apply' the package configuration. Additionally, you should create the VIPC file on a per project basis so that each project can be managed on a different configuration from each other, this insulates changes to packages in one project from impacting other projects.

We are working on a solution to this problem which we've called 'VIPM Enterprise'. VIPM Pro customers can contact us for a private Beta copy to evaluate it. Basically, with VIPM Enterprise, we help to create a 'Package Repository' where you can publish your packages. When you have published them, your colleagues can see the new packages by doing a VIPM 'Check for Updates' just like VIPM currently can check to see if JKI has released packages to the VI Package Network.

As a Pro Customer I would like to evaluate the enterprise version. But since I will be three weeks out of house, I will contact you in the middle of August about this.

Yes, this is correct. The way that your colleagues will 'get' the updates is to 'apply' the package configuration. Additionally, you should create the VIPC file on a per project basis so that each project can be managed on a different configuration from each other, this insulates changes to packages in one project from impacting other projects.

OK, thanks for the info.

Archived