Installer for packages

Hi,

I had this idea while writing another one. VIPM is a cool tool to create and distribute packages, but if I want to share packages with someone, who doesn't want (or is allowed) to install VIPM, I have a problem. Therefore it would be nice if I could create an installer, which installs (and uninstalls) the packages for me. This could be build upon a package configuration file (vipc).

Regards,

Marc

Hi,

I had this idea while writing another one. VIPM is a cool tool to create and distribute packages, but if I want to share packages with someone, who doesn't want (or is allowed) to install VIPM, I have a problem. Therefore it would be nice if I could create an installer, which installs (and uninstalls) the packages for me. This could be build upon a package configuration file (vipc).

Regards,

Marc

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the suggestion. The feature you describe is not currently on our road map due to the limited number of users who would benefit from it (in our opinion) and the high degree to technical complexity.

Regarding your use cases:

1) If a user is not allowed to install VIPM, why would they be allowed to install just a single package? (assuming that installing a package required it to be an EXE)

2) If users don't want to install VIPM, we (JKI) want to know why so that we can address those problems. What issues/hesitations do you see?

Thanks,

-Jim

2) If users don't want to install VIPM, we (JKI) want to know why so that we can address those problems. What issues/hesitations do you see?

I can only describe my situation:

1.) My company must check every new software, before it is installed on a pc. Therefore I have to go to IT, tell them I have this cool tool called VIPM and want it to be installed on my pc. Then I have to wait for them to give it free for installation. Of course in my case I just installed it anyway, because I d'ont want to wait for the always overworked IT. But officially I'm not allowed to use it right now.

2.) My company has restricted policies regarding software. Our customers are worse... But if I can say to them: Guys, you want our software, here is an installer, which installs some libraries which are required... . It would be easier to convince them.

3.) There is another point. My customer wants my software. In many cases just my software and not a meta tool to manage VI packages. It just feels a little bit more professional, if I give out an installer, which is run once and then every required library is there for use. No more running of tool foo to install lib bar.

Well, I think this sums it up.

Regards,

Marc

I can only describe my situation:

1.) My company must check every new software, before it is installed on a pc. Therefore I have to go to IT, tell them I have this cool tool called VIPM and want it to be installed on my pc. Then I have to wait for them to give it free for installation. Of course in my case I just installed it anyway, because I d'ont want to wait for the always overworked IT. But officially I'm not allowed to use it right now.

2.) My company has restricted policies regarding software. Our customers are worse... But if I can say to them: Guys, you want our software, here is an installer, which installs some libraries which are required... . It would be easier to convince them.

3.) There is another point. My customer wants my software. In many cases just my software and not a meta tool to manage VI packages. It just feels a little bit more professional, if I give out an installer, which is run once and then every required library is there for use. No more running of tool foo to install lib bar.

Well, I think this sums it up.

Regards,

Marc

Hi Marc,

I see your points and agree that they are valid. And, I can see how you might want to installer your libraries and have the underlying installer framework (VIPM, in this case) being more silent/hidden.

Thanks,

-Jim

Archived