32bit lv2009 and 64bit lv2009

mzu

2 questions:

1. Does VIPM 2.0.3 work with LV2009 64 bit?

2. I have several versions of LV side by side, including LV2009 32bit and LV2009 64bit. Looks like only on of them can be registered with VIPM. But would like to have OpenG packets installed in both, what can I do, except manual installation, or copying VIs and creating menus? I understand that some of the OpenG functionality may not work in 64bit LabVIEW

--

CLD

rm -rf /mnt/windows

2 questions:

1. Does VIPM 2.0.3 work with LV2009 64 bit?

2. I have several versions of LV side by side, including LV2009 32bit and LV2009 64bit. Looks like only on of them can be registered with VIPM. But would like to have OpenG packets installed in both, what can I do, except manual installation, or copying VIs and creating menus? I understand that some of the OpenG functionality may not work in 64bit LabVIEW

--

CLD

rm -rf /mnt/windows

Hi,

> Does VIPM 2.0.3 work with LV2009 64 bit?

I don't know of any reason to think that it wouldn't work. However, I haven't yet heard any reports about this.

> I have several versions of LV side by side, including LV2009 32bit and LV2009 64bit. Looks like only one of them can be registered with VIPM.

Yes, I think that this is probably the case.

What registry keys do you have under here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARENational InstrumentsLabVIEW

Do you have separate entries for 32bit and 64bit LabVIEW 2009 (9.0)?

> But would like to have OpenG packets installed in both, what can I do, except manual installation, or copying VIs and creating menus? I understand that some of the OpenG functionality may not work in 64bit LabVIEW

Copying the files you need might be your best solution for now. However, if you can help us figure out the registry issue, we might be able to fix the root problem and get you a version to test (but, there's no guarantee of whether or how quickly we can do this).

Thanks,

-Jim

What registry keys do you have under here: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARENational InstrumentsLabVIEW

Do you have separate entries for 32bit and 64bit LabVIEW 2009 (9.0)?

I have one 9.0 entry. Surprisingly enough all the links point to "\program files\national instruments\labview 2009" - 64 bit version,

but all the packets got installed to 32-bit version which resides at "\program files (x86)\national instruments\labview 2009"

Ha, I think I know what the answer is: 64 bit and 32 bit applications use different parts of registry, see say Microsoft KB

So, when I launch VIPM it gets launched using the 32bit LabVIEW runtime engine. So it sees under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARENational InstrumentsLabVIEW", what a regedit (A 64 bit program) sees at: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Wow6432Node National Instruments LabVIEW". There are 2 entries for 8.6 and 9.0.

Hope it helped.

Copying the files you need might be your best solution for now. However, if you can help us figure out the registry issue, we might be able to fix the root problem and get you a version to test (but, there's no guarantee of whether or how quickly we can do this).

Be happy to help you guys figure this out for the benefit of the community.

--

CLD

rm /mnt/windows

I came across this issue as well where I'd like to have some of the stuff installed to both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions of LabVIEW 2009.

There's a way when reading the registry to say whether you want the redirection or not. Here's a VI Snippet showing how.

post-2765-1251383306.png

Here is the output I get on a Windows 7 x64 running LabVIEW 2009 (32 bit)

post-2765-1251383472.png

And here's the output I get when running LabVIEW 2009 (64 bit)

post-2765-1251383480.png

You may also need to deal with turning on and off the file system redirection when you install the files into the different bitness versions.

Mark

I came across this issue as well where I'd like to have some of the stuff installed to both the 32 bit and the 64 bit versions of LabVIEW 2009.

There's a way when reading the registry to say whether you want the redirection or not. Here's a VI Snippet showing how.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the info and the VI Snippet!

Currently, VIPM is written in LabVIEW 8.2 and it seems that this new 64/32bit registry switch on Open Registry Key is only found in LabVIEW 2009 (or possibly 8.6, but I didn't check). Still, this will come in extremely handy, once we move to officially support 64bit.

Thanks!

-Jim

• 2 months later...
Currently, VIPM is written in LabVIEW 8.2 and it seems that this new 64/32bit registry switch on Open Registry Key is only found in LabVIEW 2009 (or possibly 8.6, but I didn't check). Still, this will come in extremely handy, once we move to officially support 64bit.

Hey Jim,

Any word when VIPM will support 2009 32- and 64-bit simultaneously? Many people using 64-bit still have 32-bit as well, as it has a larger feature set.

Hey Jim,

Any word when VIPM will support 2009 32- and 64-bit simultaneously? Many people using 64-bit still have 32-bit as well, as it has a larger feature set.

Hi Chris,

We don't have an exact timeframe for 64-bit LabVIEW support. That said, several JKI engineers are starting to run 64-bit Windows, so there will be increasing internal pressure at JKI to get this working.

Mark Silva showed an example of how to read the 64-bit registry in LabVIEW 2009, however, VIPM is currently developed and built in LabVIEW 8.2. So, I wonder if we can down-save the LabVIEW 2009 registry VIs to LabVIEW 8.2, or if there is an easy way to read the 64-bit registry using WinAPI calls. Otherwise, we'll have to wait until we migrate the VIPM sources to LabVIEW 2009.

Mark Silva showed an example of how to read the 64-bit registry in LabVIEW 2009, however, VIPM is currently developed and built in LabVIEW 8.2. So, I wonder if we can down-save the LabVIEW 2009 registry VIs to LabVIEW 8.2, or if there is an easy way to read the 64-bit registry using WinAPI calls. Otherwise, we'll have to wait until we migrate the VIPM sources to LabVIEW 2009.

I figured that I would post an update. I was able to down-save the LabVIEW 2009 registry VIs to LabVIEW 8.2 (and they seem to work just fine for running Mark's example). So, this means that it should be pretty straight-forward for VIPM to discover 64-bit LabVIEW.

Archived