Create .VIPC files for not installed LabVIEW version

Hi,

I have LV8.5 installed and all my packages are created with LV8.5. I bundle my packages in a .VIPC file for sharing with my colleagues. But I have a problem: some colleagues use LV8.6. They cannot use my .VIPC files, since they are made for LV8.5. I changed manually the version in the config.xml to 8.6, but than VIPM says, that this is not a valid .VIPC file (I changed the version via unzipping with WinRAR, editing the file, and adding it again to the .VIPC file).

Therefore my question is, how can I create .VIPC files for not installed LabVIEW versions or modifying an existing .VIPC file?

Regards,

Marc

Hi Marc,

A quick and dirty solution that should work (but I haven't tested) is to edit VIPM's configuration (INI) file and manually add LabVIEW 8.6 to the list of configured LabVIEW versions.

In the "[Targets]" section of the configuration file, edit the following keys:

Names.=X

Versions.=X

Locations.=X

And, add the following new keys:

Names X-1=LabVIEW

Versions X-1=8.6

Locations X-1=/C/Program Files/National Instruments/LabVIEW 8.6/LabVIEW.exe

Note: X is the number of LabVIEW Targets. You'll want to increment the current value of X.

You should now see a LabVIEW 8.6 version in the drop-down list.

A more long-term solution is that VIPM should give you the ability to apply the package configuration in any version of LabVIEW installed on your system. I've filed a feature request for this:

• Case 8025 - VIPM should allow you to apply a VIPC in any version of LabVIEW

You should now see a LabVIEW 8.6 version in the drop-down list.

Note: Jim's method should enable you to save (or create) a VIPC file for LabVIEW 8.6 even though you don't have 8.6 installed. The new VIPC file will only work on LabVIEW 8.6. Currently VIPC files are only designed to work on a specific LabVIEW version. They really are designed to facilitate sharing packages within a project. To share packages with colleagues across multiple projects more easily, you should definitely look into utilizing VIPM Enterprise (VIPM 3.0) which we'll be launching very soon.

To share packages with colleagues across multiple projects more easily, you should definitely look into utilizing VIPM Enterprise (VIPM 3.0) which we'll be launching very soon.

I know. I told Jim already, that I would like to be Beta-Tester for the Enterprise version.

Thanks for the hack. As far as I can see it does work.

Regards,

Marc

I know. I told Jim already, that I would like to be Beta-Tester for the Enterprise version.

Thanks for the hack. As far as I can see it does work.

Regards,

Marc

Hi Marc,

Regarding the beta-test program, we're getting close to releasing the final version, so we've closed the beta. Stay tuned! :)

Thanks,

Hi,

I do have another solution (tested with VIPM 2.0.3): instead of choosing in the menu "File -> Apply a Package Configuration" you can use "File -> Add Package(s) to Package List" and than choose the .VIPC file. This lists you all packages inside the .VIPC and allows you to install these, even if the .VIPC file was made for 8.5 and you want to install the packages in 8.6.

I d'ont know if this is an intended feature.

Regards

Marc

Yes, the "File -> Add Package(s) to Package List" feature works great, too. Good catch, and thanks for sharing the tip.

The main difference is that 'Add Package(s) to Package List' does not do any of the 'work' installing/upgrading/downgrading your packages to ensure that you are in the correct configuration (which is what the 'Apply' feature does). 'Add Package(s) to Package List' just adds them to VIPM so that you can manually install them.

The main difference is that 'Add Package(s) to Package List' does not do any of the 'work' installing/upgrading/downgrading your packages to ensure that you are in the correct configuration (which is what the 'Apply' feature does).

I made a mistake. There is an option when you select 'Add Package(s) to Package List' that says 'Add To Library & Install' that will do the same operation as 'Apply Package Configuration' (if you selected a VIPC file from the dialog).

Archived