Peculiar behavior on LabVIEW reinstallation

Bob Schor

I encountered an interesting feature (bug?) in VIPM. I am configuring a new PC, and have been installing multiple versions of LabVIEW on it. I installed VIPM 2.0.3 and used it to install the OpenG libraries for my various versions (7.0, 8.6, 2009).

I managed to forget to do a critical installation in my oldest version, and "started over". I uninstalled all the LabVIEW programs, and deleted the NI Program Files folder. I then started the reinstallation, "doing it right" this time.

When I reran VIPM, it first suggested that I upgrade to Version 3.0 (Community), which I did. When I opened it and connected to LabVIEW 7.0, it showed me all the OpenG packages as "installed", and wouldn't install them again. This is, of course, not correct, because the folder where the OpenG utilities would have been stored was deleted before I began the reinstallation. I'm not sure where VIPM gets its information, but uninstalling LabVIEW doesn't "uninstall" the packages!

My solution was to ask VIPM to uninstall all of the packages, and then to ask it to install them again. [Of course, I got bitten by the ogrsc_deab "bug", but that's the subject of another post ...].

Bob Schor

Hi Bob,

When VIPM installs packages, it keeps track of this information (installation status) in its own database. So, if you remove the files manually, then VIPM still thinks that the package is installed.

I agree with you that this is probably not what most users would expect. Your solution (uninstalling the packages with VIPM and then re-installing them) is the preferred way to deal with this.

Regarding the ogrsc_deab issue, we've worked around this VIPM bug by deprecating the ogrsc_deab package (which is good, since we don't recommend users install it, anymore) -- please see that other thread for more details.

Thanks,

Archived