Further Problems on LabVIEW/VIPM Reinstallation

Bob Schor

As described in my previous post, I am currently re-installing LabVIEW on a PC that had multiple versions (7.0, 8.6, and 2009) previously installed. Specifically, I opened Control Panel, choose Add/Remove Software, and uninstalled all of the National Instruments software that was listed. I then deleted the folder Program Files\National Instruments.

I then installed LabVIEW 7.0, and subsequently LabVIEW 8.6. As noted in the previous post, when I ran VIPM 3.0 to install the OpenG library in LabVIEW 7.0, it showed the various packages as already-installed, forcing me to remove them, and then re-install them. I thought that would be the only problem, but I was wrong (hence, this post).

I am now trying to install the OpenG library for LabVIEW 8.6. I did not need to "add" LabVIEW 8.6, as it was already "in the list" (presumably from the previous installation). However, no packages were shown on its page. In addition, checking for available packages gives the message "There are now new packages", hence I seem to be "stuck".

To try to fix this, I opened "Add / Remove LabVIEW version", thinking I'd remove LabVIEW 8.6 and then put it back. I see three items in the list -- LabVIEW 7.0, enabled, with the standard port, LabVIEW 8.6, not enabled, with no port, and another LabVIEW 8.6, enabled, with the standard port. I see no way to remove either of the two LabVIEW 8.6 versions, and am puzzled why two are being shown in the list. [There is an "Add New" button, but no "Remove Old" button ...]

This is a fairly serious bug, as I am unable to proceed. It is a little distressing that my "start over" in the process of installing LabVIEW (a not-trivial investment of time) did not similarly "reset" VIPM. This isn't "uninstalled" in the usual way (through Control Panel Add/Remove Software), so I need to know how to "start over" with VIPM.

[Having just written the previous sentence, I did some more sleuthing. VIPM is installed in Program Files\JKI\VI Package Manager, and there is a file in there called "uninstaller.exe". However, neither JKI nor VIPM appear as entries in Add/Remove Software, so the "uninstaller" is not presented to the user. I'm going to try running it by a direct double-click, and will report back in the next paragraph ...]

[The Uninstaller removed VIPM, and also deleted all of the folders in JKI\VIPM. I reinstalled VIPM 3.0. The first time I tried, it failed, saying I didn't have permission to write in the file. This might have been a "holdover" from the uninstall, as I still had the messages "VIPM was successfully uninstalled" on my screen. I closed the message, tried again, and the installation succeeded. When VIPM started, it (correctly) showed that I had two versions of LabVIEW installed, 7.0 and 8.6. It showed that LabVIEW 7.0 had all the OpenG packages installed, and showed that LabVIEW 8.6 had no packages listed (just as before, but there was no "not enabled" version of 8.6 in the LabVIEW list). However, I still cannot populate the package list by checking the network, so I am still "stuck".]

Bob Schor

So as I understand it, you currently get an empty list (no packages) when you switch to LV 8.6 in VIPM?

I tried to be clear, but guess I wasn't.

PC running Windows XP SP3 (soon to migrate to Windows 7). LabVIEW 7.0 and 8.6 installed, running properly. VIPM 3.0 installed. It "sees" both LabVIEW 7.0 and LabVIEW 8.6.

Used VIPM to install the OpenG packages to LabVIEW 7.0. When I opened VIPM and pointed it at the network, it found the "usual set" of OpenG packages, and installed them for LabVIEW 7.0 as it normally does. If I "select" LabVIEW 7.0, it shows me many packages, with the LabVIEW symbol on the left (meaning they are installed).

If I now "select" LabVIEW 8.6, no packages are listed (the list is empty, the page is blank, no package names appear). There is a message "There are no packages in your library", with the suggestion that I go to Tools and check for available packages. I do that, and notice the message "Ready ..." in the lower left corner of the screen. Nothing else seems to happen. That is the problem!

I've had no problem loading packages for multiple versions of LabVIEW when using older versions of VIPM, so I am assuming (?) that something is "broken" in Version 3.0. I am happy to help you figure this out -- tell me what you would like me to try. [i'll even poke around in the Registry if you would find that helpful ...].

Bob Schor

For those following along at home (or others who might see this issue in the future), Bob and I were able to work around this issue (below), off-line (by phone).

> I opened "Add / Remove LabVIEW version" ... I see three items in the list -- LabVIEW 7.0, enabled, with the standard port, LabVIEW 8.6, not enabled, with no port, and another LabVIEW 8.6, enabled, with the standard port. I see no way to remove either of the two LabVIEW 8.6 versions, and am puzzled why two are being shown in the list. [There is an "Add New" button, but no "Remove Old" button ...]

To resolve this issue, we unchecked/unselected the duplicate 8.6 LabVIEW version. This caused VIPM to only show one instance of LabVIEW 8.6 in the versions list. When we then closed the options dialog, the package list was no longer empty.

Archived