Testing EasyXML on LV RT and minor things

waldemar.hersacher

I and a colleague were testing EasyXML for use with a PXI-System running LV RT. Here is my test report.

Installation:

I used a OpenG and JKI free system which has LV 8.5.1 and LV 8.6.1 with RT module installed. Beside of a small and fixed dependency bug reported here installation was no problem. Even an offline installation on a second machine was running good. In this machine I installed it in LV 8.2.1 (the only version with RT module).

Windows:

We were testing the examples and derived tests. These tests are all running to a passed result. Unfortunatly I have not triggered my colleague to this pending(?) Known Issue. The tests included reording of cluster elements, adding and deleting cluster elements, nested structures deeper than the examples, same label name for different elements with different types in the same cluster.

LabVIEW RT (LV8.2 only on PXI-8196 controller):

We were just testing the "Write and Read XML file.vi" example. This test passed. We just assumed that the other tests will pass too.

Not tested:

Performance benchmarks with reasonable amount of data.

The above mentioned pending(?) bug. We did similar things but I'm not sure we addressed it exactly.

Dependency on the line breaks.

Things for improvement:

We do not even get a warning in the case a element in the LV data structure is not found in the XML string/file. This is not an error because in case of an newer version of the structure not finding elements is normal during the conversion process. But mostly this indicates an unclear situation. A notification as warning would be nice.

Another improvement would be creating missing subfolders using "EasyWrite XML file". If we want to write to e. g. <Default Data Directory>\My Company\My Product\Setting.config I would like to have the folders My Company\My Product created automatically when they not exist.

Conclusion:

This an easy installable, usable and stable product. We haven't found any stopping things. We will integrate EasyXML into our Testsuite framework which will run on Windows and LV RT targets. It is really its price worth.

Another thing I came across is that the "EasyWrite XML file" should have a "Overwrite (False)" flag. If the file already exists I get error 10 but there are cases where I want to overwrite the data in the file.

Hi Waldemar,

That's a great idea. I've heard others mention it and I've wanted this, too.

I've filed an official feature request for this.

Thanks,

Archived