How to create Expansion packs with VIPM

Hi folks,

I'm trying to come up with a way to build packages that will add some controls or functions to an already existing palette created with a previously built package. This would be like some sort of "Expansion packs" to extend functionality of a library. I realize I'm talking about dependencies and VIPM deals with that quite transparently, but here's the twist: I want to have these palettes expand much like the OpenG palettes... that use dynamic palettes. How can I access similar functionality for my packages without using a post-built installer?

I'm not sure I make sense... ;)

EDIT:

I should add that I use a directory that begins with an underscore that prevents LabVIEW from scanning the menu files inside. Removing the underscore is my current workaround...

EDIT (bis):

Setting the directory to Synchronize = True would work. I tried to change it manually in the vipb file, to no avail. Is it a future feature?

Hi and Happy New Year! :)

I'm trying to come up with a way to build packages that will add some controls or functions to an already existing palette created with a previously built package. This would be like some sort of "Expansion packs" to extend functionality of a library. I realize I'm talking about dependencies and VIPM deals with that quite transparently, but here's the twist: I want to have these palettes expand much like the OpenG palettes... that use dynamic palettes. How can I access similar functionality for my packages without using a post-built installer?

I'm not sure I make sense... ;)

Yes, this makes sense. But, I can't think of any built-in or hidden features in VIPM that will allow you to do this. However, I think there is a way that you can do this using a post-build hook VI.

You could create a post-build hook VI that modifies one of the MNU files in the package, setting it to synchronize with a specific directory. You could then target your add-ons to install their MNU files into that directory.

EDIT (bis):

Setting the directory to Synchronize = True would work. I tried to change it manually in the vipb file, to no avail. Is it a future feature?

That flag inside of the .vipb file is not used. We were toying around with the possibility of a feature to synchronize a palette to VIs in the source location (rather than the installed location). So, it might be a future feature :)

Archived