Installing VIPC-Files from file server is slooooooooow

Hi,

I have around 20 packages, placing them inside a VIPC-file, which is saved on the file server of my company (Novell Netware) for my colleagues. When I try to install the packages from the VIPC-file directly from the file server, it takes ages to load the list of packages inside the VIPC-file. Copying the file to my local disk and installing from there just takes seconds, if at all. What could be wrong there?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Marc

Hi,

I have around 20 packages, placing them inside a VIPC-file, which is saved on the file server of my company (Novell Netware) for my colleagues. When I try to install the packages from the VIPC-file directly from the file server, it takes ages to load the list of packages inside the VIPC-file. Copying the file to my local disk and installing from there just takes seconds, if at all. What could be wrong there?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Marc

Marc.

Without specific test results in-hand. I would say that this is normal behavior. The files in a VIPC file are compressed. Not unlike a zip file or a Windows msi installer file. If you try to install an msi file or extract a zip file over the network, you will get a similar slow response. Windows performs countless file calls to the VIPC file in order to extract the contents and load them in VIPM. Having the file locally speeds this up.

Having said that. We did not have this use-case in mind when we designed the loading of the VIPC file into VIPM. Moving forward, there are things we could potentially change to speed up this loading. However for now, it is the way it is and I suggest you copy the VIPC file locally or perform a GET operation in your favorite source code control system.

If you are trying to setup a way for your team to share multiple packages between developers and multiple projects. I suggest you look at our Enterprise product offering.

Hope this Helps.

Archived