VIPM Manage LabVIEW 2009 x64 and LabVIEW 2009 x86

benhysell

I have VIPM all setup and working using LabVIEW 2009 x64, however I have a couple of VIs I need to open in LabVIEW 2009 x86. I figured this wouldn't be an issue, but when I open up my project in x86 LabVIEW all of the paths to the OpenG packages are broken/missing.

Since VIPM is set to work with the x64 version of LabVIEW all of the OpenG toolkits were installed under c:\program files. However, when using the x86 version of LabVIEW all of the packages should be placed under c:\Program Files (x86), this isn't the case since VIPM doesn't know about this LabVIEW.exe.

I figured this would be as simple as telling VIPM to also manage this LabVIEW.exe, however with the x64 version of LabVIEW registered I cannot add another LabVIEW 2009 exe to be managed. I receive the following error:

"VIPM could not register the LabVIEW version because it is already registered."

If VIPM would recognize that the two versions of LabVIEW are different I believe this issue goes away.

Thoughts on how I could get around this?

Thanks!

-ben

Hi Ben,

I don't have a great solution for you, right now, that will allow VIPM to manage both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of LabVIEW 2009 at the same time (but, VIPM can manage one or the other). VIPM only has one package installation database for each LabVIEW version (and does not distinguish between 2009 32-bit and 2009 64-bit).

The best work-around that I can offer would be to manually copy over the installed VIs from the 64-bit installation into the 32-bit installation. These VIs will (for the most part) be found in the "user.lib\_OpenG.lib folder". If you want the OpenG palettes, too, you should also copy "menus\Categories\OpenG.mnu" and "menus\dynamic".

In the mean-time, we're currently working to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

-Jim

Archived