VIPM could not connet to LabVIEW 7.0

Neal

I've got all Windows version of LabVIEW on my Win Vista 32 machine and am simply trying to get the OpenG VIs installed for LabVIEW 2009 and LabVIEW 7.0. The 2009 install went fine but I can't get LabVIEW 7.0 to work. I've gone through all the TCP/IP settings on the help and have changed my port for LabVIEW 7.0 to 3364 in both LabVIEW and in VIPM. I've tried rebooting and everything else I can think of. I've also setup "localhost" and my actual IP address but it still does not work. No matter what I do I get the "VIPM could not to connect to LabVIEW 7.0" error.

What could be wrong?

Also, all I want to do is get the OpenG VIs installed and I really hate, especially after losing more than an hour to this problem, having to install install VIPM just to get the OpenG VIs setup. Is there any other way I can download them and install them manually like I used to be able to do?

I've got all Windows version of LabVIEW on my Win Vista 32 machine and am simply trying to get the OpenG VIs installed for LabVIEW 2009 and LabVIEW 7.0. The 2009 install went fine but I can't get LabVIEW 7.0 to work. I've gone through all the TCP/IP settings on the help and have changed my port for LabVIEW 7.0 to 3364 in both LabVIEW and in VIPM. I've tried rebooting and everything else I can think of. I've also setup "localhost" and my actual IP address but it still does not work. No matter what I do I get the "VIPM could not to connect to LabVIEW 7.0" error.

What could be wrong?

Sorry about your problems.

VIPM generates an error log located (on Vista) here:

C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM\error

Please attach the file with the latest date. We can use this to help troubleshoot.

Also, all I want to do is get the OpenG VIs installed and I really hate, especially after losing more than an hour to this problem, having to install install VIPM just to get the OpenG VIs setup. Is there any other way I can download them and install them manually like I used to be able to do?

Short answer, Yes:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/opengtoolkit/files/

However, it seems like your problem is not the downloading part. It's the installing part. You can download the package from VIPM by right-clicking the package name and select download. You can then locate the package in your library by opening up the properties window. Right-click on the package in VIPM and select "get info". The package is a compressed file which can be opened using any zip program.

Sorry about your problems.

VIPM generates an error log located (on Vista) here:

C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM\error

Please attach the file with the latest date. We can use this to help troubleshoot.

OK, see attached.

I'll try downloading and installing from the other site for now.

May_05_2010.txt

I believe I have a solution for you based on what I saw in the error log.

The answer is to launch VIPM as an Administrator when working in LabVIEW 7.0. Simply right-click on the VIPM icon on your desktop and select: "Run as Administrator" Then go through the same process to setup LabVIEW 7.0 as you did with LabVIEW 2009. It should now work.

Just as a side note. LabVIEW 7.0 is not officially compatible with Vista according to NI. I think the earliest version that is Vista compatible is LabVIEW 8.2.1. However, if you run VIPM as an Administrator as I mentioned above you can work around this problem.

Thanks, that worked!

I know NI says that about LabVIEW 7.0 but I've been using for over two years on VISTA without any problems. The newer versions of DAQmx try to take out older DAQ driver VIs so you have to keep a copy of the folder and put it back in if and when this happens. As a developer I keep every version of Windows LabVIEW installed on one computer to support older customers. Although I like developing in LV 2009, I still like LV 7.0 partly because the application installation is so much smaller.

Thanks, that worked!

I know NI says that about LabVIEW 7.0 but I've been using for over two years on VISTA without any problems. The newer versions of DAQmx try to take out older DAQ driver VIs so you have to keep a copy of the folder and put it back in if and when this happens. As a developer I keep every version of Windows LabVIEW installed on one computer to support older customers. Although I like developing in LV 2009, I still like LV 7.0 partly because the application installation is so much smaller.

I understand. I'm in the same situation, however with Windows 7. I too support old projects in LabVIEW 7.0. ;)

Thanks, that worked!

Hi Neal,

At JKI, for supporting old versions of LabVIEW, we all use virtual machines running in VMware Workstation (PC), Parallels (Mac), or VMware Fusion (Mac).

There are lots of good resources on how to do this. For example, check out:

* Dmitry Sagatelyan's Presentation on Using Virtual Machines in LabVIEW Development

* Using VirtualBox with LabVIEW

Cheers,

-Jim

Archived