Building two packages from the same source

crelf

So I want to have 2 versions of my packages: one with (for use internally) and one without diagrams (for external release), and I wanted to get everyone's input before I tried anything, as the only things I can think of will require significant work to get up and running. Here are my two ideas:

• I could write a VI that takes a package, unzips it to a temporary location, removes BDs (using scripting), then zips everything back up into a new package.
  • I could do the same as above, but make it a post-build step (so whenever I do a build, I'll get 2 packages output into separate folders)

My biggest concern is the checksum that VIPM uses - if I try to use either of the two methods above, will my 2nd package be valid?

PS: I thought about having two separate .vipm files, but that's not a good idea for 2 reasons: I can't control where the .vipm files go, so I'll be overwritting them all the time, and I *think* I want an external package for every internal package made, so I'd like that to be automated (don't want to have to manually build external packages - I just want them to be there when I need them).

JKI uses for their XML toolkit an approach where they have the same version but a different release number, that would make sure no overwriting is done.

So I would just need to remember to add the strip BDs post-build step for the separate release - hmmmm, I guess that would work, but I was hoping for something a little more automated...

Hi Guys,

We don't have a "canned" solution, yet, but this use case is totally on our radar. I can't talk about it publicly, yet, but there are several things we're working on that will make your life easier in the future.

Crelf: We should talk more, off-line, about your needs and the best short-term workarounds.

Thanks,

-Jim

PS: I thought about having two separate .vipm files, but that's not a good idea for 2 reasons: I can't control where the .vipm files go, so I'll be overwritting them all the time, and I *think* I want an external package for every internal package made, so I'd like that to be automated (don't want to have to manually build external packages - I just want them to be there when I need them).

I think you mean .vipb files.

So here is one possible solution. I'm not saying that this will ever be a feature. I'm just brainstorming here:

So if you had control over your build spec (.vipb) and were able to create an internal.vipb and an external.vipb then were able to build both of them in sequence in an automated fashion, would that work for you?

I think you mean .vipb files.

Yes - you're right.

So if you had control over your build spec (.vipb) and were able to create an internal.vipb and an external.vipb then were able to build both of them in sequence in an automated fashion, would that work for you?

That would completely solve the issue I'm having. In fact, I might want more than 2 vipb files - sometimes with only subsets of VIs, etc...

Archived