Add bin3 development capability

I cannot find a simple way to add bin3 files for my examples. When preparing bin3 files, the examples normally already need to be in the LV examples pathing. Suggest you add a development application that is similar to the LV "Prepare Example VIs for NI Example Finder...". This would also be an opportunity to improve on the way bin3 files are currently created by improving the user experience. Under the present system, can you tell me how I accomplish this since the examples files are located in the VIPM project pathing, not in the LV pathing?

Jim Dougherty

Hi Jim,

That's a feature that is definitely on our radar.

I agree that the current way to create bin3 files is pretty rough around the edges. The way that we will often do it is to create the VI Package and install it -- this places all the examples in their final installed locations. Then, run the Prepare Example VIs for NI Example Finder tool and create the bin3 file. Copy the bin3 file along with all the modified example VIs (the Prepare Example VIs for NI Example Finder tool will modify your example VIs) back into your VI Package source folder. In VIPM's package builder, ensure that the bin3 is included in the built package (usually just putting this in your Examples folder, if you have one, will do the trick if you've already targeted it to the "Example VIs" destination).

I hope that helps. Also, I'll check with NI to see if there is any official documentation on how to create bin3 files for your VI Packages -- there are some doc's here in the LabVIEW Add-on Dev Center that talk about how to create bin3 files, in general.

-Jim

Archived