Adding package problem

Mellroth

Hi,

I'm trying to install a number of packages downloaded from LAVA on my main dev PC, but VIPM fails to add the packages.

Double-clicking or opening the package from within VIPM doesn't matter, I always end up in an empty installation screen

post-2791-1283254844_thumb.png

If I open the same packages on a secondary PC running the same VIPM version (2010 build 1568), they are presented correctly as this

post-2791-1283254450_thumb.png

Both PCs are DELL laptops, running Windows XP and LabVIEW 2009. The only real difference is that the main PC is running a Swedish version of XP, while the secondary machine is using English XP.

Any ideas?

/J

Edit: the main PC is running Community edition of VIPM and the secondary PC is running the Professional version (I know I should move the professional license to my main PC, but I still have a lot of stuff on my old PC that I need to be able to build)

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this.

First, you can install VIPM Professional on more than one computer. The licensing is on a per user basis and you can install it on as many computers as you need to do your work. Can you try activating VIPM Pro on the computer with the problem and see if that helps?

Also, does the computer with the problem have access to the Internet? Are you able to do a Check Network for Available Packages? Do you see all the VI Package Network and NI LabVIEW Tools Network packages in VIPM's package list?

Finally, it would be helpful if you could send us any error logs you might have. See here for instructions.

Thanks,

-Jim

First class support as always.

First, you can install VIPM Professional on more than one computer. The licensing is on a per user basis and you can install it on as many computers as you need to do your work. Can you try activating VIPM Pro on the computer with the problem and see if that helps?

Oops, I really didn't know that you could install on more than one machine. Thanks for the info, that will make my job easier ;-)

I have completed the online activation, just have to wait for the activation code to arrive before I can test if the Pro version works.

Also, does the computer with the problem have access to the Internet? Are you able to do a Check Network for Available Packages? Do you see all the VI Package Network and NI LabVIEW Tools Network packages in VIPM's package list?

Yepp, internet is up and running and I can check for updated packages. I don't know if I see all the packages you mention, but I do have a bunch of them.

Finally, it would be helpful if you could send us any error logs you might have. See here for instructions.

Here is the error log, I had to split the file since there is a 2MB upload limit. It seems like VIPM outputs the same error over and over again (sometimes more than one error per second).

augusti_31_2010.txt

Edit: I get the same type of error even after Pro-activation.

/J

Strange, I deleted all files in my temp folder and after this I was able to get to the correct installation screen, but only once? I never installed the package, but still there is a problem with the icon.bmp file upon next installation and only on my main PC.

The same package on the secondary machine, can be double clicked and correctly presented.

I'm running as admin on both machines, and have the same VIPM version.

I should perhaps add that I used my main PC during the VIPM 2010 beta, but this and the fact that I'm using different OS languages is the only real differences I can think of.

EDIT: I think I found the problem. When I try to install one of the packages from LAVA, "jgcode_lib_qdp_rename_lvoop_labels-1.0-1.ogp", this does not show up correctly on either machine. This package seems to prevent subsequent installations of other packages.

/J

I think I know what is the problem. I suspect that your package has one or more read-only files in it (another user had a very similar problem here). This is causing problems when VIPM tries to clean-up the files it has extracted to the temp folder.

I'll take a look at the RCF Insert Type Conversion package and see if this is indeed the issue.

Thanks,

-Jim

Which version of this package are you trying to install? I took a look inside lava_lib_rcf_insert_typeconversion-1.2.0.3 and I don't see any read-only files.

That was the package where I first saw the problem, the package I think is causing this is "jgcode_lib_qdp_rename_lvoop_labels-1.0-1.ogp".

Trying to install this package adds the bmp file to the temp folder preventing also lava_lib_rcf_insert_typeconversion-1.2.0.3 from being installed.

/J

Can you attach / post a copy of this package? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks,

-Jim

Sorry about that, here is a link to LAVA CR where I downloaded the package:

http://lavag.org/files/file/103-rename-lvo...ck-drop-plugin/

My hope is that I wont have to go through all our packages just to make sure they are possible to install with VIPM-2010; any plans for a near future update of VIPM?

/J

Sorry about that, here is a link to LAVA CR where I downloaded the package:

http://lavag.org/files/file/103-rename-lvo...ck-drop-plugin/

My hope is that I wont have to go through all our packages just to make sure they are possible to install with VIPM-2010; any plans for a near future update of VIPM?

/J

Thank you for the link. Yes, we plan to release an update in the future and we consider this issue to be an important one to fix.

Thanks,

-Jim

• 1 month later...

Archived