Develop help in the local folder

Jim Dougherty

As I am developing the detailed help, I see that the help file reference can be set to <helpdir>:\ help file.chm. This requires that the help file be paced in the [LVDIR]\help directory.

It would be good to allow developing help in the local directory and have the help file there until installation. This would require that the package manager redirect opening the local help file for package manager development but when installed, look for the help file in its standard LabVIEW pathing. This also avoids copying help files between the LabVIEW pathing and local pathing as edits to the help file are made and testing is performed.

• 3 weeks later...
As I am developing the detailed help, I see that the help file reference can be set to :\ help file.chm. This requires that the help file be paced in the [LVDIR]\help directory.

It would be good to allow developing help in the local directory and have the help file there until installation. This would require that the package manager redirect opening the local help file for package manager development but when installed, look for the help file in its standard LabVIEW pathing. This also avoids copying help files between the LabVIEW pathing and local pathing as edits to the help file are made and testing is performed.

Hi Jim,

This is a great idea and we'll certainly consider it for a future release. It seems that this would be relatively straight-forward to implement (but the devil is always in the details).

BTW, you could probably do this yourself with a Post-Build Custom Action VI. If you need help/pointers for trying this, let us know.

Thanks,

-Jim

Archived