Unable to build package for 8.2

vugie

I have two LabVIEW versions on disk: 8.2 and 2009. I wanted to build packed for 8.2, but something went wrong and error appeared - I don't remember now what was it. I quit all LV versions, restarted VIPM and tried again, but from this point when I try to build package for 8.2, LabVIEW 2009 starts instead and package built (without any errors) is for 2009. I of course selected proper version while defining package content. So what is going on? In package definition (attached) version is stated properly.

.vipb

Hi Vugie,

I'm sorry for the trouble. I'm excited to see that you're building your MemBlock toolkit as a VI Package :) I'll try my best to help.

Can you try temporarily disabling VIPM's connection to LabVIEW 2009? In the VIPM Options dialog, uncheck LabVIEW 2009, which will cause it to disappear from the (drop-down) list of LabVIEW versions available within VIPM. After doing this, does the build succeed?

Also, can you please attach any recent VIPM error logs you might have, located here:

• C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM\error

Thanks,

-Jim

Hi

I tried switching off 2009. Even after deleting .vipb file and redefining the package for 8.2 (no other version registered) following error appears:

post-2969-0-77562100-1290856638_thumb.png

No new file in error directory. I also tried to do it on independent computer - same effect.

Another thing I tried was to manually change version number spec file in vip archive (generated for 2009), and to replace all VIs to proper version. It was not possible to install such a package.

My main suspection is that LV version is somehow sewed in the package ID. Is it true?

I believe it's either one of two problems:

1) There are some VIs or other LabVIEW files that are saved in LV 2009, located in your project folder.

2) There's a VIPM bug that's causing the dialog to show misleading information.

Just recently, we fixed an issue related to #2. So, I'll send you (by email) a link to a new test build of VIPM to see if that might be the issue.

Thanks,

-Jim

New version didn't help, but I found the reason - in fact there was a VI saved for 2009, but in folder excluded from build... Bug or feature?

I'm glad you found the problem and have a work-around :)

Wow, that's a good question. My gut reaction is to call it a bug, but there could be some underlying constraints (in terms of how the build process works) that would make it a "feature". At a minimum, this feels like a definite usability bug, in that VIPM was doing something other than what you asked it to do and it didn't give you any good indication as to why. I'll look into it some more and get back to you.

Thanks for your help in debugging.

Archived