Unable to Remove or Edit Dependency

swalpole

I've created several packages that depend on one another. For example, MGI Application Control is a package, and MGI File depends on it. I've gotten into a state where if I go to the "Package Dependencies" section of MGI File I can not edit or delete the MGI Application Control dependency. As near as I can tell, here are the steps I took to get here:

1) Add "MGI Application Control" version 1.0.0.11 as a dependency to "MGI File" package

2) Uninstall "MGI Application Control" from VI Package Manager.

3) Remove "MGI Application Control" from VI Package Manager.

4) Delete the .vipb file that corresponds to "MGI Application Control".

5) Launch VI Package Builder and open the MGI Application Control source folder

6) Recreate the MGI Application Control package as version 1.0.1.2

7) Build MGI Application Control with VI Package Builder

8) Install MGI Application Control with VI Package Manager

9) Open the "MGI File" package in VI Package Builder

10) Go to the Package Dependencies section

11) Select the "MGI Application Control" item and press the "Remove Dependency" button

12) A dialog appears asking for confirmation of the removal. Press "Remove Depndencies"

13) The MGI Application Control" item dims momentarily, then reappears. I expected the dependency to be deleted at this point.

14) I can also edit the dependency but any edits are ignored.

15) Adding a dependency and selecting the new "MGI Application Control" version 1.0.1.2 does not work.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help in how to fix the current package and avoid getting into this position in the future will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn

Hey Shawn,

Thanks for the detailed bug report. I'll look into trying to reproduce this issue.

In the meantime, you might try (first backing up your existing .vipb file and then) editing your .vipb file and deleting the MGI Application Control item from the dependencies.

[update: Oops, these instructions are for VIPM 3.0 -- I'll look into the best way to do this for VIPM 2010.]

For example, you would delete the corresponding item (entire line in red) inside the item, similar to what's shown in red, below (which uses other package names, not yours specifically):

oglib_array >= 2.7

oglib_error >= 2.3

oglib_lvdata >= 2.9

oglib_string >= 2.6

Please let me know how this works.

-Jim

Oops, the instructions I gave you (for deleting dependencies) are for VIPM 3.0 -- I'll look into the best way to do this for VIPM 2010.

Could you please post a screenshot of the Package Dependencies page of VI Package Builder and also attach a copy of your .vipb file? I'd like to look more closely at the current state of your build specs.

Thanks for the quick response. I've attached the screenshot and the MGI File Package source.

Please try deleting this line from your .vipb file:

mgi_lib_application_control >=1.0.0.11

Also, I tried opening your .vipb file in VIPM and I was able to successfully delete all the dependencies -- I can't figure out what's up.

Do you have a .vipc file (package configuration) located next to the .vipb file?

Please try deleting this line from your .vipb file:

<Additional_External_Dependencies>mgi_lib_application_control >=1.0.0.11</Additional_External_Dependencies>

Also, I tried opening your .vipb file in VIPM and I was able to successfully delete all the dependencies -- I can't figure out what's up.

Do you have a .vipc file (package configuration) located next to the .vipb file?

I do not have a .vipc file next to the .vipb file. I deleted the file mentioned above from the .vipb of MGI File. When I then opened MGI File, I get the attached dialog. If I press yes, all the settings are deleted.

Since you can't reproduce it, I wonder if it is related to my cache. I'm guessing this because I know I removed MGI Application package from VI Package Manager before I started having this problem. Could I delete all the MGI Package-related files from the JKI cache folder?

JKI Invalid Signature.bmp

Archived