[Bug?] Directory Preserving Hierarchy does not Install Top Level Files in the same location as Directory Flat

jgcode

VIPM 2010.0.2.1592 Professional

In the post I am trying to install example files for a package - I want to preserve the hierarchy so e.g. a relative file path is preserved between source and dist locations etc...

Steps to reproduce the bug (if it can be reproduced)

This is my Destinations configuration:

post-2618-0-82922900-1292162700_thumb.png

Expected behavior (what would happen if the bug didn't exist)

A Flat Directory will break this relationship - but it installs the files in the expected folder location of examples\OpenG\picture. This is the location that I would expect Preserving the Hierarchy to install to.

post-2618-0-18877500-1292162716_thumb.png

Actual, observed behavior (the bug)

Here is the configuration going from Flat to Preserved - I keep the Use Destination of Parent Folder option checked. But you will notice that now the files and installed in the subfolder "examples".

post-2618-0-70353700-1292162672_thumb.png

In order to get the correct location I have to set all file and folders in the top level to the Example Destination - which could be a lot of work.

post-2618-0-71483100-1292162689_thumb.png

Thanks

-JG

Hey Jon,

I recall that we gave these subtleties a lot of consideration when we were in the design and alpha phase of VIPM 2010. In fact, the behavior that you don't want (placing the folder, rather than it's contents in the destination location) is exactly what some other users *do* want.

Moving forward, I think that we might need to add one of the following features:

1) Allows you to rename items (or maybe just folders) on install (which is, I think, a feature of the LabVIEW Application Builder). For example: You would specify that your "\examples" folder should be in the "Examples" destination, which targets the "\examples\OpenG" folder. And, you would specify to rename the "\examples" folder as "picture". This would cause it to be installed into the "\examples\OpenG\picture" folder.

Or, another option...

2) Have a setting (only available for folders) in the Source File Settings window that allows you to "place contents in destination" rather than placing the folder in the destination. So, if you have the "\examples" folder targeting "\examples\OpenG\picture" it won't end up like "\examples\OpenG\picture\examples\*.*" -- it will just end up as "\examples\OpenG\picture\*.*" (with the "examples" subfolder not added).

Thoughts?

(I think I recall that I may have bought this up in the private forum a while ago? - so apologies for the double post - although revisiting the topic is great).

I recall that we gave these subtleties a lot of consideration when we were in the design and alpha phase of VIPM 2010.

Hi Jim

I don't doubt that for a second - the speed at which, and the amount of, features that were implemented in the software as it moved through beta to release were very impressive and had to be directly correlated to a strong design.

In fact, the behavior that you don't want (placing the folder, rather than it's contents in the destination location) is exactly what some other users *do* want.

Yes, all my posts are subjective. :) I am also conscious that prefixing [bug?] to the topic may imply a negative connotation to a great product and development team however, this is not my intent - I just wish to highlight and discuss the implementation in more detail - whether it gets flagged as an issue or not (for all my posts).

That said...

Moving forward, I think that we might need to add one of the following features:

1) Allows you to rename items (or maybe just folders) on install (which is, I think, a feature of the LabVIEW Application Builder). For example: You would specify that your "<source>\examples" folder should be in the "Examples" destination, which targets the "<LabVIEW>\examples\OpenG" folder. And, you would specify to rename the "<source>\examples" folder as "picture". This would cause it to be installed into the "<LabVIEW>\examples\OpenG\picture" folder.

Or, another option...

2) Have a setting (only available for folders) in the Source File Settings window that allows you to "place contents in destination" rather than placing the folder in the destination. So, if you have the "<source>\examples" folder targeting "<LabVIEW>\examples\OpenG\picture" it won't end up like "<LabVIEW>\examples\OpenG\picture\examples\*.*" -- it will just end up as "<LabVIEW>\examples\OpenG\picture\*.*" (with the "examples" subfolder not added).

Thoughts?

My reasoning for this post was what I consider inconsistency between flat and hierarchy options. As flat goes into the folder, whilst hierarchy goes into the folder in a sub-folder. If this is preferred, then a way to speed up setting it not to be, would be sweet (and the best of both worlds).

I like the idea of your checkbox option for folders: "place contents in destination". A simple way to handle it and the name is intuitive!

Cheers

-JG

Archived