can't run VIPM without administrator privileges

shb

When ProgramData\JKI and its subdirectories are writable for everyone, the VIPM does not require administrator privileges, (except for some package installations probably). This is a big advantage when building packages and for installing simple packages (qd plug-ins, ...)

Only switching to a special user after selecting to install packages looks like an ideal solution. No idea how this can be donw with LabVIEW.

Greetings,

shb

Can you clarify a little what the problem is? VIPM already runs without Administrator privileges. You do not need to be an Administrator to run VIPM.

I had to run it as an administrator user. When I started VIPM as a normal user, the window opened and closed some seconds later without showing an error message. (With a normal user I mean one that is not member of a special group. He must enter a different user name for an installation in windows vista.)

The directory C:\ProgramData\JKI (on Vista) is created on installation. It is only readable for normal users. This is normal for LabVIEW Installers (changeable since VL 10) but not practically.

Since I changed the permissions for this directory I can run VIPM without special privileges.

Maybe I did something wrong. I am open to learn.

Gretings,

shb

Something definitely went wrong with the installer on your machine. When you run the VIPM installer, it should prompt you for an Admin password to proceed. During the installation process, the installer changes the permissions on the "ProgramData\JKI" folder to be available to normal users.

When you run VIPM as a normal user, you should have no problems installing anything or running VIPM. So I think something went wrong there.

Well, it appears everything is working now so no need to change anything. However, your feature request is already implemented so not sure, what went wrong.

Something definitely went wrong with the installer on your machine. When you run the VIPM installer, it should prompt you for an Admin password to proceed. During the installation process, the installer changes the permissions on the "ProgramData\JKI" folder to be available to normal users.

I would like to do this in my code too. Could you give some hints how this can be done?

When you run VIPM as a normal user, you should have no problems installing anything or running VIPM. So I think something went wrong there.

Well, it appears everything is working now so no need to change anything. However, your feature request is already implemented so not sure, what went wrong.

Maybe I will test this on some clean machines. (Somewhen in the feature.)

Thank you very much for your answers.

Greetings,

shb

Archived