Initial load of VIPM 10 surprisingly slow ...

I've been using OpenG Packages for several years now, and have used VIPM 2, 3, and now 2010. I've recently (re-)installed several new LabVIEW systems, and have noticed that the installation of VIPM and the OpenG packages seems to take much longer (like 10-15 minutes!) than before.

To be fair, I should note that I'm right now installing not the OpenG packages, but the JKI Labs/JKI/JKI Software packages that show up with LabVIEW 2010. The "slow" part is a step that I didn't notice before (not that I was paying close attention!), namely Mass Compiling (Saving). I haven't (yet) downloaded and installed the packages from OpenG.org (except those that were dependencies of the JKI stuff) -- maybe that will be a lot faster (just a second -- I'll pause here, wait for JKI to install, install OpenG, and tell you ...).

Hmm -- it's about 15 minutes later, and I'm still compiling the JKI stuff! In a way, I suppose I'm "cheating" slightly, as this Windows 7-64 system is running in a VM-Ware Virtual Machine, but there's nothing running in the background, the VM has 2 processors and 2GB memory devoted to it (on a quad-core machine with 8GB, at present doing nothing else but running this VM). Patience, Bob, go have a cup of tea ...

10 minutes (and one cup of tea) later -- still working. Windows Task Manager/Resource Monitor shows CPUs are about 10-20% usage, memory is about 75% (and fairly constant), nothing else is very significant (a few KB/sec disk I/O, but in spurts).

Wow. Almost an hour after I started. It's been working on VI Tester\Queue TestCase for at least 25 minutes ... [Of course, the reason I'm being so "edgy" is there's a VI I need to test that uses OpenG stuff].

Sigh. It is now more than 90 minutes, and still working on VI Tester\Queue TestCase. Gotta take a walk before I lose my mind ...

Well, it's now been more than two hours, and no end in sight. I'm going to post this, then figure out how to kill the VIPM installation, logging off if necessary. I may try again just before I leave work, so it can run overnight if necessary (!!??).

Bob Schor

Hey Bob,

We've had a few reports of slowness of the Mass Compile step. A couple things to note:

- You can press the Abort button on the VIPM toolbar (big red "X" button) to stop the mass compile. This won't negatively affect the installation.

- You can disable the Mass Compile after package installation in the VIPM Options dialog.

-Jim

Hey Bob,

We've had a few reports of slowness of the Mass Compile step. A couple things to note:

- You can press the Abort button on the VIPM toolbar (big red "X" button) to stop the mass compile. This won't negatively affect the installation.

- You can disable the Mass Compile after package installation in the VIPM Options dialog.

-Jim

Thanks, Jim. As I should have remembered from College Days, "Answer Analysis Reveals that the Question is Wrong!". I aborted VIPM and LabVIEW, restarted VIPM, "fed it" the OpenG stuff, and it finished in minutes (a few -- I was on the phone and didn't see how long it took, but definitely less than 10 minutes).

When I did the Abort, it seemed that LabVIEW was "stuck" somehow on the Queue TestCase compile -- I probably could have killed it an hour-and-a-half earlier. Incidently, VIPM shows that the Tool Tester did install.

One final note (omitted in the original) -- all of this was done with LabVIEW 2011, which VIPM correctly identified (Kudos to JKI).

Bob Schor

Thanks, Jim. As I should have remembered from College Days, "Answer Analysis Reveals that the Question is Wrong!". I aborted VIPM and LabVIEW, restarted VIPM, "fed it" the OpenG stuff, and it finished in minutes (a few -- I was on the phone and didn't see how long it took, but definitely less than 10 minutes).

When I did the Abort, it seemed that LabVIEW was "stuck" somehow on the Queue TestCase compile -- I probably could have killed it an hour-and-a-half earlier. Incidently, VIPM shows that the Tool Tester did install.

One final note (omitted in the original) -- all of this was done with LabVIEW 2011, which VIPM correctly identified (Kudos to JKI).

Bob Schor

What's LabVIEW 2011? You must be living in the future, Bob ;)

Archived