Empty folders left in vi.lib after uninstall

Hi.

I've just made my first ever VIP of one of my toolsets that I'm thinking of submitting to NI Tools Network. In this respect I'd just like to hand out some mega Kudos to you for a job well done with the VIPM, and especially for making the package builder available in the Community Edition too. Thanks!

I notice that some empty folders are left in vi.lib when I uninstall my VIP again. In this case using LV2009 SP1 on Windows XP SP3.

My package is installed to vi.lib\GPower\VIRegister 1.3\, and it installs and uninstalls with no errors from VIPM. It differs which folders are left behind after uninstall.

In one case it was these:

vi.lib\GPower\VIRegister 1.3\Doc\

vi.lib\GPower\VIRegister 1.3\SubVIs\write\

...and in another it was just this one:

vi.lib\GPower\VIRegister 1.3\Typedefs\TypeDefContainers\

I wonder if the uninstall process quits early, or if it's something in my system that makes it fail? I can without problems delete the leftover folders using the Explorer myself just after the uninstall finishes, so if they are locked by some process making uninstall fail, it's not for long. I've attached the VIP file, and can of course provide the VIPB if necessary.

Cheers,

Steen

gpower_lib_viregister-1.3.0.3.vip

• 2 months later...

I was able to reproduce this. I'm thinking that it could be because you are browsing to one of the subfolders in file explorer, while you are uninstalling the package. However, this is not consistent.

I have reported it internally as Case#12442

Steen, are you still having this problem? We've found that this is caused by permissions errors due to the fact that you may be browsing to the folder during uninstall. To correctly test this, please close all your File Explorer windows then install and uninstall the package. Everything should be cleaned out.

I'm closing this case.

Archived