VIPM will not start

Hi,

Hi im new to this forum and using VIPM. I’m trying to download the labview Arduino interface toolkit. I went to the NI download page and followed the steps.

• I downloaded the labview 2009 run time engine and it said i had a more up to date version already. I have labview 8.5.

• so i downloaded and successfully installed the VIPM using the link provided for windows OS. im using windows 7 btw.

• The problem is then when i tried to go to download the toolkit using the link a new internet tab(blank) opens and i get a msg saying “ this application needs to be opened with an application “ send to: and gives me the choice for the VI package manager located at “C:\ Program Files(x86)\JKI\VI Package Manager\support\VIPM File Handler.exe”—“/command:url:%1”

• So i choose this and the VIPM program starts up for a second and then disappears from the screen and nothing else happens!

the VIPM also does this when opened from desktop.

I tried then to use a newer version of the run time envioroment and a newer version of the VIPM from JKI( which was recommended on their site if having connection issues ) so i tried this , However the same problem is occurring and i cannot download the toolkit.

If you can give me any advice on how to resolve this would be great because im really interested in using the labview arduino interface toolkit. and i dont no how to solve this myself. all help is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks very much

Regards

Fran

post-3786-0-07372700-1315065902_thumb.png

post-3786-0-21846500-1315065933_thumb.png

Sorry, you are having these troubles. What localization are you using, meaning, what Country is this Windows 7 installed in? Is it configured for other languages?

Some things to do:

Right click on the desktop icon and select "run as administrator" to see if it fixes it.

Next, please attach troubleshooting logs (zip them). See here for instructions:

http://forums.jki.net/topic/1442-how-to-submit-vipm-troubleshooting-logs/

Well, I have (maybe) a similar problem (Windows 7 64bit): VIPM started correctly with the "run as administrator" option enabled, the package list is filled, VIPM even connects to LabVIEW, but the selcted packages are not downloaded and installed. What can I do?

Thank you!

Martin

Sorry, you are having these troubles. What localization are you using, meaning, what Country is this Windows 7 installed in? Is it configured for other languages?

Some things to do:

Right click on the desktop icon and select "run as administrator" to see if it fixes it.

Some things to do:

Hi, thanks for getting back to me and sorry about my delayed response. im located in Ireland. i actually forgot to say that i tried running as an admin also but still didnt work. as for the logs i dont know where i can find these?

Hi, thanks for getting back to me and sorry about my delayed response. im located in Ireland. i actually forgot to say that i tried running as an admin also but still didnt work. as for the logs i dont know where i can find these?

Please see here for log location and instructions:

• 3 weeks later...

Michael,

I too am having the same issue as originally described by ladysman217f.

I am working in LabVIEW 8.6.1f with the 2011 LabVIEW runtime installed also.

Attached is the log files you requested. (it wouldn't let me attach an ini file so i copied it and changed the extension to txt)

Thank you.

Church

(edit: btw, I am in the US and using Windows 7 64bit)

September-29-2011.txt

Settings - Copy.txt

Edited by Church

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm experiencing similar trouble: after the splash screen pops up, VIPM terminates.

Unfortunately due to out IT restrictions running as admin is no option. Furthermore I can not find the log files as described...

Running on WinXP SP2 with German localization. LabVIEW Runtime 2009SP1 is installed as well. LabVIEW itself is running with a trial license (not experied yet ;-)

BTW. when the IT guy installed the program remotely (WinVNC) he was not able to see the installation windows. Directly after installation, VIPM did work (IT guy was still logged on)

Thanks for your comments!

Regards

Oli

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I seem to be suffering from the same sort of malady. I'm running Windoze XP Pro SP3, LabVIEW 8.0.1. Sometimes the splash screen comes up and then goes away almost instantly, other times it starts to draw the VI Package Manager Window and just locks up. I did manage to get it run once and upgrade some packages, but others would not upgrade, saying they could not connect to LabVIEW 8.0. I installed the lava dynamic pallettes which re-arranged my pallettes and while exploring them LabVIEW completely crashed....this really sucks...it used to actually work.

I just tried again to start VIPM after a reboot. The splash screen came up, then the populated package list flashed on the screen....then nothing. What happened to make this not work anymore?

Edited by BadToad

I seem to be suffering from the same sort of malady. I'm running Windoze XP Pro SP3, LabVIEW 8.0.1. Sometimes the splash screen comes up and then goes away almost instantly, other times it starts to draw the VI Package Manager Window and just locks up. I did manage to get it run once and upgrade some packages, but others would not upgrade, saying they could not connect to LabVIEW 8.0. I installed the lava dynamic pallettes which re-arranged my pallettes and while exploring them LabVIEW completely crashed....this really sucks...it used to actually work.

I just tried again to start VIPM after a reboot. The splash screen came up, then the populated package list flashed on the screen....then nothing. What happened to make this not work anymore?

BadToad,

I'm sorry you are having these issues. Can you get us some more information, in order to debug your problem? --> See here.

• 1 month later...

Mike,

We want you to try to re-install VIPM. To do this you will have to uninstall VIPM using the VIPM uninstall and then delete the following folders manually:

C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM

C:\Program Files (x86)\JKI\VI Package Manager

Then re-install VIPM.

If that does not fix the problem, try re-installing LV2009 32bit (Full) Run Time Engine: http://forums.jki.net/topic/1430-where-do-i-get-the-labview-2009-run-time-engine/

Let me know what happens.

- Ashish

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am having the same issue but my error report is a bit different from the one above(see attached). I'm using Labview 2010 and Windows7 64bit in an English-based system. I tried "run as administer" and "troubleshoot compatibility" but still it only showed the orange starting window and then just stopped working.

April-22-2012.txt

Hi

I am having the same issue but my error report is a bit different from the one above(see attached). I'm using Labview 2010 and Windows7 64bit in an English-based system. I tried "run as administer" and "troubleshoot compatibility" but still it only showed the orange starting window and then just stopped working.

It seems to be an issue accessing the registry. This is one problem that we have seen by other users but have not been able to isolate and reproduce. If you see the error log it indicates an error accessing the following key:

KEY_WOW64_64KEY\SOFTWARE\National Instruments\LabVIEW

It may be a permissions issue, but not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm running LabVIEW 2011 student version (32 bit) under Vista 64 bit with an AMD dual core. Labview is installed on the "J:" drive, and so is the VIPM.

Starting LabVIEW, the "Getting Started" window pops up. Choosing the option "Find LabVIEW Add-ons" recently, I was forced to install the VIPM.

Directly after installing the VIPM, I'm able to run the VIPM just once! When I try it a second time, the splash screen pops up briefly and the program dies. I guess there are some registry values that are not properly saved.

I tried reïnstalling the VIPM, and using the C-drive. But I still get the same result: only directly after installation I can run the VIPM (by choosing the option to run it from the installer).

Any idea how to solve this?

Kind regards,

Are you running German, Spanish or French Windows? If so, then read a few posts back to see a fix. If not, please contact us using our contact form and we can provide more assistance.

Hi Michael,

I 'm running a Dutch Windows. And although I didn't believe runnning the fix as you suggested would make any difference, it worked! Thank you!

So, to all the people with a European Windows encountering these problems: look a few posts back: download the fix and execute setperms2.exe! There are also files for the Mac available.

Kind regards,

Arnold

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Same problem,, VIPM 2012 flashes at startup then goes away for good,,, I can not run as admin per company policy

Thanks

Running as Admin is only suggested in order to debug the problem and give us an idea of what the issue is. You should not require to run as Admin. Can you describe your system:

• What Windows OS 32 vs 64
  • What language OS
  • How many LV versions and which ones.
  • Also submit your error log