Strange behavior, Windows 7 + LV 2011 + VIPM

Bob Schor

I'm encountering some strange behavior in running VIPM 2011 (build 1669) with LabVIEW 2011 on Windows 7 (64 bit). Within the past two weeks, I've done two installations of Windows 7 on two PCs. On both, I installed LabVIEW 2010 and LabVIEW 2011, set up VI Server to use TCP/IP Port 3363 (the default), loaded VIPM, and installed the OpenG and selected other (JKI State Machine) packages.

One install went according to my previous experience, i.e. as expected, no surprises. However, I'm having the following issues with the current install (on my laptop, a "reinstallation" of everything following a new hard drive replacement). Win 7 and LabVIEW installed without issue, as did VIPM. When I went to load the 2010 packages in, they installed as expected. However, I noticed that some of the dialog boxes that note that external licenses are involved had the big green check symbol and big red X symbol (to accept or reject the licenses) slightly "out of line". Didn't worry about it, chalked it up to "poor visual design".

However, when I went to do the 2011 installs, I ran into two anomalies. First, the initial message saying "I need to connect to LabVIEW, and I want to use Port X" specified Port 3364, not 3363 (although when I checked, just to be sure, VI Server was set for 3363). When I said "No, forget it", I got a dialog box that really looked weird, with its HTML showing. I'll attach it below (couldn't figure out how to paste a .PNG in here).

Part of me says "Just change the port to 3363 and continue", but I've not seen this anomaly before, and want to figure it out rather than "beat it out" -- besides, I just did this without problems a day or two ago on another machine ... Anything I can do to shed light on either the Port or HTML issue?

Bob Schor

post-2452-0-81282100-1315680616_thumb.png

Sorry, I tried to wait for JKI to respond, working remotely on my work PC using VPN, but something really slowed down the network so that key presses and mouse clicks were delayed a second or two. Out of frustration at not being able to "fix the one or two things wrong with my VI", I decided to go ahead and "force" VIPM to use Port 3363 when running LabVIEW 2011. It does seem to work ... There's still the question "Why, when I installed VIPM, did it pick the "wrong" port for LV2011?", as well as "What's up with the dialog box showing its underwear, I mean, HTML code?".

BS

Archived