Internet explorer renaming .vip files to .zip files.

Kris

I have had several reports of customers trying to download Package Manager files off my website and are reporting that are turned into zip files. I have only been able to gather a limited amount of information on their computers so far. I appears that they are trying to use internet explorer 8 and may not have LabVIEW or VIPM on the computer used to download the files. I haven't been able to reproduce this on my computers but have had several independent reports of this behavior.

Is this a known issue? Is there any way to force it to download with the proper extension?

Kris,

I was able to reproduce the issue using IE8. The PC had nothing related to LabVIEW or VIPM on it.

The issues is caused dure to security settings in IE8 which identifies unknown file type (in this case, ".vip" file) and renames it to ".zip".

i was able to disable this "feature" of IE8 by changing the security setting in IE8 to "Medium".

Here is a video demonstrating the issue and the solution to fix the problem: http://screencast.com/t/MqiXFn9EfSb

- Ashish

• 3 weeks later...

I was working on my application which automatically downloads some files using IE, and landed up on this page while searching the same kind of issue I was facing.

To fix this issue, I changed the registry settings before I started the download algorithm, and reverted it back to original after the download was complete. This is not a good way since tampering of IE group policy is not always permitted on all systems, but for now I've found some solution which actually worked for me. Just though I could share the registry settings:

The way to programatically change the privacy tab is placed in 1A10 Dword found in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3

(1A10 is the value corresponding to the privacy tab slider in IE)

The corresponding values of this DWORD are:

Block All Cookies: 00000003

High: 00000001

Medium High: 00000001

Medium: 00000001

Low: 00000001

Accept all Cookies: 00000000

I also played along with the A8A88C49-5EB2-4990-A1A2-0876022C854F and AEBA21Fa-782A-4A90-978D-B72164C80120 Dwords and had could set 1E05 to

high: 00010000

medium: 00020000

low: 00030000

Just thought to share if someone needs to do this programatically for their users :)

Source

Thanks!

Parag D

Isn't it easy to change the security settings and revert them back when done?

In your case, it is easy to do this manually, since the users are using the link only for the purpose of downloading packages.

I was doing some program for automating downloads, where I figured this problem, and thought to share the same info.

Your use case makes changing the settings and reverting them back manually the best solution.

• 1 month later...

I have had several reports of customers trying to download Package Manager files off my website and are reporting that are turned into zip files. I have only been able to gather a limited amount of information on their computers so far. I appears that they are trying to use internet explorer 8 and may not have LabVIEW or VIPM on the computer used to download the files. I haven't been able to reproduce this on my computers but have had several independent reports of this behavior.

Is this a known issue? Is there any way to force it to download with the proper extension?

To answer the original poster. Since you are managing your site. It may be possible to configure your server to serve-up the file correctly if you configure a MIME-TYPE for VIP files. How to do it depends on what type of server you are running.

• 1 month later...

Archived