VIMP hangs during package installation and produces huge error log files

Elktro

I have VI Package Manager 2011.0.1 on Win7 with Labview 2011. I can start the VIMP just fine but if I try to install any package the program hangs. VIMP actually downloads the package, but after that the VIMP returns to the Package Information window where it states that the package is not compatible with the operating system of with the LabVIEW version although it was compatible before the intallation started. At the same time in the main window the satus bar reads "ready ...", but is un responsive and install and uninstall buttons below the menu bar are flickering. I have to kill VIMP at the task manager.

While being hung the programs writes to the error log file (C:/ProgramData/JKL/... ) multiple times in a second the same following peace of text:

=========== START of VIPM Error Message ===========

An internal VIPM Error has occured on: keskiviikko huhtikuu 25, 2012 at 01:02:41

= Automated Message Start =

Error 1 occurred at (No Package Info found for "oglib_array-4.1.0.13")

23C11E079BAB1787692995AE64C7BD15 in 457BBE372BEA86ED5F8DFCEF6261B874->VIPM Main Window.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: An input parameter is invalid. For example if the input is a path, the path might contain

a character not allowed by the OS such as ? or @.

=========================

NI-488: Command requires GPIB Controller to be Controller-In-Charge.

= Automated Message End =

= Error Handler Call Chain Start =

VIPM Main Window.vi

= Error Handler Call Chain End =

=========== END of VIPM Error Message ===========

This result huge error files tens of megabytes.

So what to do?

Also do I have to run the VIMP as administrator?

Two things to try:

• Exit VIPM and try running it as administrator. Right-click on the startup icon and select - run as administrator

If that doesn't work:

• Exit VIPM
  • Goto: C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM\cache - locate the file called: oglib_array-4.1.0.13.spec
  • Check the permissions on the file. They should look like the following:

00000610.png

• If it does not, please tell me what it shows.
  • To fix this:
  • Delete the file
  • Restart VIPM.

It's possible that this is a permissions issue. Let me know if this solves your problem.

Two things to try:

• Exit VIPM and try running it as administrator. Right-click on the startup icon and select - run as administrator

If that doesn't work:

• Exit VIPM
  • Goto: C:\ProgramData\JKI\VIPM\cache - locate the file called: oglib_array-4.1.0.13.spec
  • Check the permissions on the file. They should look like the following: http://screencast.com/t/USr5ZCjBMN
  • If it does not, please tell me what it shows.
  • To fix this:
  • Delete the file
  • Restart VIPM.

It's possible that this is a permissions issue. Let me know if this solves your problem.

I also had this exact problem with installing OpenG packages only (to LV 2011 and 2010). After looking at the error log, I deleted all the installation files as you suggested. Problem is still there. Also, for some OpenG package installation attempts, I see a different symptom. For example, after selecting the OpenG Buttons Library for LV 2010, the Package Action Confirmation window appears. After clicking <Continue>, the status message "Adding to library" flashes at the bottom of the window, and then says "Ready." Then the package list disappears and a blue box appears which says "There are no packages in your library. Try...". After checking for available packages, the list comes back. Here is one copy of the hundreds of repetitions of the resulting error:

=========== START of VIPM Error Message ===========

An internal VIPM Error has occured on: Tuesday May 01, 2012 at 02:52:56 PM

= Automated Message Start =

Error 1 occurred at (No Package Info found for "oglib_buttons-4.0.0.7")

8F58489B1FADA34C9D199B49E31DAE3E in OGPM Class.lvlib:6FFD5B0328C02F0D91F450971C2F9829->VIPM Package

License Dialog.vi->VIPM Main Window.vi

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW: An input parameter is invalid. For example if the input is a path, the path might contain

a character not allowed by the OS such as ? or @.

=========================

NI-488: Command requires GPIB Controller to be Controller-In-Charge.

= Automated Message End =

= Error Handler Call Chain Start =

VIPM Main Window.vi

= Error Handler Call Chain End =

=========== END of VIPM Error Message ===========

Just as a side-note: I can't get to screencast.com (or any other media repository) because my company blocks those types of sites.

Thanks for the great tools.

Brad

I had the same problem too, but I noticed this only happens with some OpenG packages:

• ogrsc_rename_folder_of_vis 4.0.015
  • OpenG Error Library 4.2.0.23
  • OpeG LabVIEW Data Library 4.1.0.16
  • OpenG MD5 Digest Library 4.1.1.10
  • OpenG Numeric Library 4.1.0.8
  • OpenG String Library 4.1.0.12

I reproduced this issue even with a fresh LabVIEW 2011 installation on Win 7 64-bit if I try to install one of these packages without any other package already installed.

I installed without problems other packages (OpenG, MGI, LAVA, ...), or different versions of these ones.

Archived