Labview 8.2 and VIPM in Lubuntu 12.04

I tried to install VIPM in Lubntu 12.04 and when I installed it, it messed up my system. What happened is that after I rebooted my system, I arrived at the login screen and after I entered my username & password, it asked for it again, so I could never log in.

I was wondering if someone could tell me how to succesfully install VIPM 2.0.3 in Lubuntu 12.0.4.

Thanks in advance!

I fixed the problem by following a solution made for windows, that works in the same way for ubuntu & its derivatives, in my case Lubuntu.

What I did is:

I went to users and Groups and I changed my account type to administrator and rebooted, after I rebooted I installed VIPM and it eorked, and gave me no further trouble.

• 5 months later...

I fixed the problem by following a solution made for windows, that works in the same way for ubuntu & its derivatives, in my case Lubuntu.

What I did is:

I went to users and Groups and I changed my account type to administrator and rebooted, after I rebooted I installed VIPM and it eorked, and gave me no further trouble.

Hi nando88,

I am seeing the same behavior in Ubuntu 12.10 with LabVIEW 2011 SP1 and VIPM 2011.0.1. After I installed vipm with sudo permissions and restarted my machine I am not longer able to log-in to the Ubuntu desktop. On the log-in screen I select my username and enter the password, the screen goes black, and then returns to the desktop. This behavior is described in several places in the Ubuntu community and the most frequent response is to delete the .Xauthority file and restart, but that does not change the behavior on my system.

I ran id username to see that I am in the sudo group so I should have administrator privileges. Can you give a little more detail on what you had to do to get back into the desktop?

Just fixed my login problem due to the JKI installer! Guess it takes stepping away for a minute to figure it out :]

I was trying to delete the .Xauthority in my home directory one more time to see if it would resolve the problem on restart and decided to take a look at the .xsession-errors file in the directory which gave the following message:

mkdtemp: private socket dir: Permission denied

A quick google search turned up the following page: http://askubuntu.com/questions/135666/can-not-get-passed-the-login-screen

Where it looks like the error is due to incorrect permissions on the /tmp directory. After logging into a tty (CTL+ALT+F1) as my user account and executing:

sudo chmod a+w /tmp 

I restarted and was able to login again! It looks like the JKI installer is resetting the permissions on the /tmp directory during installation.

And just to it is noted somewhere for future Ubuntu + LabVIEW + VIPM users, I had a few more problems during setup with the VIPM installer:

1) The VIPM installer according to this page: http://jki.net/vipm/download

For the linux download brings up a message saying that the LabVIEW 2011 Run-Time engine is required. This may be true for the VIPM environment (have not checked) but for the installer itself to run you have to have the LabVIEW 2009 Run-Time for Linux installed as well. NI hosts the RPM which is tricky to install (tried with alien to make a deb but it did not create symlinks, etc), but is much easier to do if you have the LabVIEW 2009 Development system installer as you can choose to install only the LV 2009 Run-Time during installation and it works well.

2) I had to run VIPM with sudo in order for it to start, otherwise it would complain about not being able to create a file during launch. Makes sense that it requires sudo, but would be better if it gave a clearer message.

3) When configuring the LabVIEW installation that I wanted to use the VIPM would completely lock-up and remain unresponsive if I selected the labview bin symlink from here:

/usr/local/bin/labview

instead of the fully resolved link from here:

/usr/local/natinst/LabVIEW-2011/labview

• 3 weeks later...

(hijacking the thread)

VIPM for linux is actually 2011 which requires 2009 Run-Time for Linux.

Honestly, this is already confusing and at odd with what said on http://support.jki.net/entries/20959253-labview-runtime-engine-for-vipm

Anyway. I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 64bit, with LV2011 installed; cannot alien the rpm for 2009rt because of wrong architecture. I could copy, though, the whole /usr/local/lib/LabVIEW-2009/ from a previous. rpm-based installation, and have created the links

/usr/local/lib/liblvrtdark.so.9.0 -> liblvrtdark.so.9.0.1
/usr/local/lib/liblvrtdark.so.9.0.1 -> /usr/local/lib/LabVIEW-2009/liblvrtdark.so.9.0.1
/usr/local/lib/liblvrt.so.9.0 -> liblvrt.so.9.0.1
/usr/local/lib/liblvrt.so.9.0.1 -> /usr/local/lib/LabVIEW-2009/liblvrt.so.9.0.1

This allowed me at least to get the installer running. Modulo sudo here, running as root there, chmod a+w /tmp, etc.

Now I am here:

sudo /usr/local/JKI/VI\ Package\ Manager/VI\ Package\ Manager.exe

post-8540-0-02908800-1353917692_thumb.png

post-8540-0-24668300-1353917912_thumb.png

post-8540-0-70858900-1353917933_thumb.png

post-8540-0-68692700-1353918804_thumb.png (LV run as sudo)

post-8540-0-71888300-1353918110_thumb.png

So where from now?

ETA: Doh!! one has to press the "+" button in the VIPM Options dialog, not the "Edit" button or just click somewhere in the empty table! I would leave my long post in, though, I hope the graphical description can be useful for someone.

• 1 year later...

Archived