Problems with Mac OS VIPM 2013.1

sth

I updated my VIPM to the latest build (2013.0.1 build 1906) and now I get errors on installing?

I am installing into LV 2012 (but I have links to the other LV versions on my system) which is my primary development system. I was trying to install Norm's ESF (Extensible Session Framework) and I get the following error.

"Main Package Name: ESF - Extensible Session Framework v2.4.0.25

Package Name with Error: ESF - Extensible Session Framework v2.4.0.25

Error Message: VIPM could not install the package ni_tool_esf-2.4.0.25 .

Error Code: 7

Error Source:

==============="

The mysterious error 7 is a file permissions error. I am logged in as an admin and should be able to write to the LV directory. I have write permissions to vi.lib/addons.

--------------------------------------------------------------

If I try to refresh my packages by looking for updates, I get Error accessing the following subscriptions:

1. LabVIEW Tools Network

2. VI Package Network

This not a network problem since I am accessing the web to write this message and the firewall is open for all outgoing connections.

--------------------------------------------------------------

And it does not seem to remember my configuration of various LV versions after restarting? I have write access to /Library/Application\ Support/JKI/jki.conf

Attached is error file

In poking around a bit more. The /Library/Applications/JKI/VIPM/settings.ini file has a corrupt entry.

Ports="<size(s)=3> 3365 3364 3363"

This seems very very wrong given the structure of the rest of the file.

-----

If I blow away the settings file, it is recreated with just a reference to LV 8.5 in the TARGETS section, but still has the bad ports entry.

[Targets]

Names.<size(s)>="1"

Names 0="LabVIEW"

Versions.<size(s)>="1"

Versions 0="8.5"

Locations.<size(s)>="1"

Locations 0="/sthMac/Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW 8.5/LabVIEW.app"

Ports="<size(s)=1> 3363"

Tested.<size(s)>="1"

Tested 0="FALSE"

Disabled.<size(s)>="1"

Disabled 0="FALSE"

Connection Timeout="120"

Active Target.Name="LabVIEW"

Active Target.Version="8.5"

PingDelay(ms)="-1"

PingTimeout(ms)="60000"

sth,

The ports entry in the settings.ini is not corrupt. That is the way VIPM manages port information for multiple LabVIEW versions on the same PC.

After recreating the settings file, you wmight have to reconnect VIPM to all the installed LabVIEW versions.

But, did that resolve the original issue?

If not, please try to run the VIPM with "Run As Administrator" option from right mouse click.

The ports entry in the settings.ini is not corrupt. That is the way VIPM manages port information for multiple LabVIEW versions on the same PC.

After recreating the settings file, you wmight have to reconnect VIPM to all the installed LabVIEW versions.

But, did that resolve the original issue?

If not, please try to run the VIPM with "Run As Administrator" option from right mouse click.

Ashish,

That did not resolve the issue. That is very weird settings given how VIPM manages all the rest of the settings.

I did reconnect all the versions. In fact, if I just open it and connect 1 more version (it opens with only 8.5 connected) and I add 2012. Then I quit and restart VIPM and I am back to only 1 connected version of LV.

If I take my older settings file that had multiple versions of LV in it and open it with either VIPM 13.0.1(1906) or VIPM 13.0.0(1866) the number of connected versions of LV is reset to 1.

It is odd that ports are handled in such a different way than all the other settings. For example, the "Names" have a separate "size" setting that gives the number of entries.

Names.<size(s)>="9"

and then followed by settings for "Names 0", "Names 1" etc.

However Ports are given all in the same string

Ports="<size(s)=1> 3363"

There is no setting "Ports.<sizes(s)>" as there is for "Tested.<size(s)>"

Either way, I cannot add a LV version without it disappearing upon restart.

Lastly, there is no right click to run as administrator. I think you are taking me for a windows person. There is obviously access to the settings file since VIPM is modifying it.

-Scott

Reverting to VIPM 2010 seems to work but is a limited. At least I can connect to multiple versions of LabVIEW. However going back to 2013 immediately limits me to a single version of LV upon restarting VIPM. I just removed ALL preference files and re-installed VIPM 2013.0.1 and added 3 versions of LV. Upon quitting VIPM and restarting I am back to a single version. If this isn't a settings corruption then there needs to be another explanation.

I removed the entire directory /Library/Application Support/JKI where all the new 2013 version info goes and is a lot more compatible with OS X instead of putting all those files in either the home directory or the application directory.

-Scott

Ashish,

I am way beyond that point. I can concurrently connect to all 9 versions of LV on my system on different ports. VIPM reports that all the connections are verified and working. I can install somethings on LV 2012.

But only if I don't quit and restart VIPM!

If I quit and restart VIPM all the connections I entered vanish. This does not happen with VIPM 2010 but with both released versions of VIPM 2013. I should not have to re-enter all the connection data every time I start VIPM this is why settings files were invented.

I can install OpenG packages if I open VIPM, create the connection to LV 2012 and then immediately install without quitting VIPM.

But when I install ESF (from Norm Kirchner's) package I get the error 7. This is a second error. The settings error has just made it much harder to find the second error.

I'm sorry for the trouble you're having. The VIPM Mac user base is smaller than Windows and it's possible you've run into a configuration that we haven't encountered yet. Just to clarify. There are 2 versions of VIPM 2013 Mac available. The latest release 2013.1 and the previous one. Have you tried both VIPM 2013 versions?

When we implemented the VIPM 2013 Mac release, we added the ability to autodetect your installed LabVIEW versions. This feature may not be working correctly on your system. In VIPM 2010 Mac, you had to manually tell VIPM where LabVIEW was and what version you have. In VIPM 2013 Mac, all of this is automatic and VIPM just finds your LabVIEW versions. It just works - as it should.

I would be concerned about the ports setting, since it looks different. However, on my system, even though it looks like that, it still works. Here's what I have:

[Targets]

Names.="4"

Names 0="LabVIEW"

Names 1="LabVIEW"

Names 2="LabVIEW"

Names 3="LabVIEW"

Versions.="4"

Versions 0="12.0"

Versions 1="11.0"

Versions 2="10.0"

Versions 3="9.0"

Locations.="4"

Locations 0="/Macintosh HD/Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2012/LabVIEW.app"

Locations 1="/Macintosh HD/Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2011/LabVIEW.app"

Locations 2="/Macintosh HD/Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2010/LabVIEW.app"

Locations 3="/Macintosh HD/Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2009/LabVIEW.app"

Ports=" 3366 3365 3364 3363"

Tested.="4"

Tested 0="FALSE"

Tested 1="FALSE"

Tested 2="FALSE"

Tested 3="FALSE"

Disabled.="4"

Disabled 0="FALSE"

Disabled 1="FALSE"

Disabled 2="FALSE"

Disabled 3="FALSE"

Connection Timeout="120"

Active Target.Version="12.0"

PingDelay(ms)="-1"

PingTimeout(ms)="60000"

As you can see, I have multiple LabVIEW versions installed and it finds them all with no intervention on my part.

Is it possible that you've installed those other LabVIEW versions outside of your applications folder or in a non-default location? This will cause the VIPM autodetection to fail. OSX doesn't have a registry like on Windows so we have to make some assumptions on the location of LabVIEW.

The permissions issue (error 7) is probably not related to this issue. WHat is the link to Norm's package so I can try it here?

• 2 weeks later...

Michael,

Thanks for the response. I have tried both versions of VIPM 2013. They seem to behave the same. The 2010 version works and remembers the multiple versions between restarts. The system does not auto find all my LV versions but every time reverts to only LV 8.5. Now since I have renamed the executables this is expected. I renamed them for two reasons. The first was to keep the preferences straight which is no longer necessary but the second is to identify them in the dock since the dock badging feature is not on all versions.

The "sizes" setting is reset to 1 on all the preferences even though the data is all there. The data is all there for all the LV versions except the port numbers which is just the 8.5 version. The active target is still 12.0 but but that version has been cut out by setting the size to 1. I think that the number 0 target was LV version 13 but it was reset to 8.5 when I quit.

The package I was originally trying to load and get an error 7 is downloaded from https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-12813

-Scott

[Targets]

Connection Timeout="15"

Active Target.Version="12.0"

PingDelay(ms)="-1"

PingTimeout(ms)="60000"

Names.<size(s)>="1"

Names 0="LabVIEW"

Names 1="LabVIEW"

Names 2="LabVIEW"

Names 3="LabVIEW"

Names 4="LabVIEW"

Names 5="LabVIEW"

Names 6="LabVIEW"

Names 7="LabVIEW"

Versions.<size(s)>="1"

Versions 0="8.5"

Versions 1="12.0"

Versions 2="11.0"

Versions 3="10.0"

Versions 4="9.0"

Versions 5="8.6"

Versions 6="8.5"

Versions 7="8.2"

Locations.<size(s)>="1"

Locations 0="/sthMac/Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW 8.5/LabVIEW.app"

Locations 1="/sthMac/Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2012/LabVIEW 12.app"

Locations 2="/sthMac/Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2011/LabVIEW 11.app"

Locations 3="/sthMac/Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2010/LabVIEW 10.app"

Locations 4="/sthMac/Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW 2009/LabVIEW 9.0.app"

Locations 5="/sthMac/Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW 8.6/LabVIEW 8.6.app"

Locations 6="/sthMac/Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW 8.5/LabVIEW.app"

Locations 7="/sthMac/Applications/National Instruments/LabVIEW 8.2/LabVIEW 8.2.app"

Tested.<size(s)>="1"

Tested 0="TRUE"

Tested 1="TRUE"

Tested 2="TRUE"

Tested 3="TRUE"

Tested 4="TRUE"

Tested 5="TRUE"

Tested 6="TRUE"

Tested 7="TRUE"

Disabled.<size(s)>="1"

Disabled 0="FALSE"

Disabled 1="FALSE"