How to safely move a VIPM private repository from one server to another

TimV

I need to move our entire internal (private) VIPM repository from a server that is about to be decommissioned, to a different server. Is it as simple as moving the entire repo folder (the folder which contains the "packages" folder, as well as index.rss, index.vipr, index.vipr.zip, and private.ini) to the new server; then reconfiguring each VIPM client's "Subscription Location" to point to the new path? It seems like it should indeed be this easy, but I once had a bad experience after I messed around with a VIPM repo (but this was a very different situation, I actually hacked and edited the repo files themselves -- don't do that!), and so I wish to verify that this is how it should be done. Thanks.

Hi Tim,

Yes, you should be able to:

1) Move the repository folder to a new server.

2) Edit the repository URL so that it correctly reflects the new location.

2014-09-16_09-03-01.png

2.a) Note that if you have an older version of VIPM (e.g. VIPM 2012 or earlier) then you will need an activation code for the repository.

3) Update all the clients to point to the new repository URL.

Thanks Jim for the reply, with screenshots even! I followed your instructions, yet I still have a problem.

1. Rather than MOVE the repository folder to the new server, I COPIED it; with the intention of deleting the old folder later, once I was confident that everything was working properly.
  2. I then edited the "Repository Properties" sheet to reflect the new URL, per your screentshot.
  3. I am using VIPM 2014.0.0 (build 1963).
  4. Still using the VI Repository Manager, I Un-published a package that I no longer wanted to be published.
  5. I used Windows Explorer to take a look at the date/time stamps of the files in both the old and new repository folders. The files in new location still had the previous date/time stamps, while the files in the OLD location now had stamps indicating modification at the present time!
  6. Still using the VI Repository Manager, I then pulled down the repository selector box and selected "Configure Repositories...". The "Repository Manager" window that displayed indicates that the location of my repository is still at the OLD path!
  7. There seems to be no way to edit this "Location" from this dialog; nor can I find ANY place to edit this value. SUGGESTIONS?

Hi Tim,

> There seems to be no way to edit this "Location" from this dialog; nor can I find ANY place to edit this value. SUGGESTIONS?

You're right. You can't edit the location once it's been added to VIPM list of repositories under management. You'll need to go into the options to remove it and then re-add it:

Go into the Tools>>Options (menu) >> Repository Manager (tab), select the repository, click the red X to remove it, then click the plus to add the new one.

2014-09-17_15-27-02.png

That worked, thanks. I think I now have a better understanding of the difference between configuring ACCESS to a private repo, and MANAGING a private repo. I didn't realize before how distinctly different these two concepts are, and the distinctly different configurations required for each.

Archived