VIPM 2014 "Wastes Time" with LabVIEW 2014

Bob Schor

I recently installed LabVIEW 2014 (32-bit) on a Windows 7 Pro (x64) machine that had VIPM 2014 already installed. I also have LabVIEW 2010 through 2013 installed on this same machine.

I set up all of my LabVIEW versions with the same TCP/IP port, 3363, and "force" VIPM to accept this (so far, this has not been a problem).

I just (for the first time) tried to install some packages (such as OpenG) on my 2014 system. To my surprise, on several installations, it would start, get about half-way done, then start the 2-minute Timer, apparently trying to connect to LabVIEW. When the timer expired, instead of an error message, I got a message "Successfully installed". And, indeed, if I stop LabVIEW and restart it, my packages show up in the palette.

Why is VIPM "wasting my time" by making me wait two minutes per installation when the installation succeeds? Is this a Bug or a Feature?

Bob Schor

P.S. -- I'm running the Pro version of VIPM, if that makes a difference.

I agree that the apparent connection timeout, coupled with apparent success, is probably some sort of a bug. Have you verified that these installs really were successful?

In any case, VIPM should really be configured to use a difference port number for EACH version of LabVIEW that you have installed. Sharing a single port MIGHT work as long as you never want VIPM to connect to more than one version of LabVIEW simultaneously, but simultaneous connections might be necessary as you install packages to several LabVIEW versions during a single VIPM session. This has always been true, so it does not explain why sharing a single port used to work for you, but now does not -- perhaps VIPM 2014 changed something in its socket connection logic so that enforcing unique port numbers is now more important than ever.

Archived