Jump to content
Steen Schmidt

License binding problems: deactivation not working and search box pops up

Recommended Posts

Hi,

 

VIPM 2014 build 1963.

 

When building a package with licensing and adding palette to the library, this search box comes up during the build:

 

post-3784-0-95102200-1423337234_thumb.png

 

The search doesn't find anything, and we just have to close the search box. The package seems to work ok though - what does this mean?

 

Also, when we enable deactivation in the build spec. we aren't able to deactivate (only supported in LV 2014 and onwards). When attempting to deactivate LabVIEW tells us that the deactivation failed with the following message "Function call contains invalid arguments".

 

NI has confirmed this and can get deactivation to work when using the TPLAT API before building the package (and thus not handle the license binding within VIPB). Anything we can do to get deactivation to work from within VIPB?

 

Cheers,

Steen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steen,

 

Just trying to catch up on open items.

 

Have you ever resolved the issue?

 

Do you happen to have any dynamic libraries?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello JKI,

 

I wanted to follow up on this issue as it seems that Deactivation still does not work when Binding a license in VIPM Pro. When a product uses this feature in VIPM, and a customer tries to deactivate, they are given an error "Unknown Error". This error is not given if a developer uses the "add-on Licensing Tool" inside LabVIEW and doesn't bind a license during build time. Here is how to reproduce the problem:

 

Install TPLAT from VIPM: vipm://ni_lib_tplat

License an LVLIB using TPLAT Standard Mode (Tools > Add-on Licensing Tool)

Delete the licensed source code, but keep the .lf file that was created

Create a VIPM build spec with the unlicensed lvlib

Enable "Bind License to Library at Build Time" in "Licensing and Activation tab.

Enable deactivation and use the credentials as described in your help document (http://jkisoft.com/vipm/docs/2014/index.html?turl=licensingactivation.htm)

Build package

Install Package on test machine

Create a test license in SOLO server for the product

Activate the product in LabVIEW with test license

Deactivate the product in LabVIEW and receive an "UNKNOWN ERROR!"

 

Has there been any investigation into this issue and is there any timeline for resolving it? Please let me know if you need any information from our side.

Thanks for your help,

David

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jim Kring said:

 

Hi Steen, David.

Big apologies for the long delay in resolving this issue -- I wish I had a good excuse for that, but I don't, other than it was tricky to track down the root cause and it wasn't prioritized.

Fortunately, there is a simple work-around for VIPM 2014 - VIPM 2018 (see Knowledge Base: Deactivation Fails for Licensed Add-ons built with VIPM) and a fix coming in VIPM 2018f1.

Perfect Jim, thanks. I'll try the workaround and keep an eye out for the fix. I'm not permitted to follow that link, is the workaround the same as Jens Gräwe suggests here?: https://support.jki.net/hc/en-us/community/posts/360000027103-Error-in-Deactivation-Infos-in-VIPM-Pro

Cheers,
Steen

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steen Schmidt said:

Perfect Jim, thanks. I'll try the workaround and keep an eye out for the fix. I'm not permitted to follow that link, is the workaround the same as Jens Gräwe suggests here?: https://support.jki.net/hc/en-us/community/posts/360000027103-Error-in-Deactivation-Infos-in-VIPM-Pro

Cheers,
Steen

I just fixed the Knowledge Base link, thanks. Yes, that's the work-around we're proposing.

For what it's worth, the bug traced back to a cluster constant on the block diagram that had the wrong cluster order for Client ID and Server ID.  It was very hard to track down, since it looked like everything was working -- the swapping of values actually happened right at a dynamic Call by Reference of a VI that has its FP controls hidden (so can't debug) and BD password protected :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.