Jump to content
fab

Packages built using VIPM 2017 do not work on earlier versions of VIPM

Recommended Posts

I reported this a couple of months ago via Twitter.  At that time Jim responded that the reason packages built using VIPM 2017 do not work with earlier versions of VIPM is due to adding support to malleable VIs.

Would it be possible for VIPM to have a way to package the packages the old way when they do not include a single malleable VI in them?

Our main toolkit, DQMH, is available via the LabVIEW Tools Network, and we don't want to impose a VIPM version requirement for our users. We are having to stay with VIPM 2014 or 2016 in order to build DQMH packages if we want to ensure that everyone is able to install them. This is the main reason why we will not renew our service plan with JKI.  It does not make sense to pay for a renewal when we are forced to use an earlier version of the product. 

Thanks,

Fab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Fab,

Users of older versions of LabVIEW are able to easily upgrade to newer versions of VIPM -- right now, the error dialog users see when they try to open a package that's an older format could be more helpful in suggesting an upgrade (via check for updates, right in that workflow).

Is upgrading to newer versions of VIPM a problem for your users? Do you have data on how many of your users can't upgrade to the latest version of VIPM (for one reason or another)? Do you know what's preventing your users from upgrading?

I'm sure you can appreciate that investing development resources in features that disincentive upgrading, in most cases, probably doesn't make good business sense. It probably makes more sense to invest those resources into features that make it attractive for users to upgrade. Of course, it's all a balance.

-Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately for us, it doesn't make sense to build the DQMH package using VIPM 2017 knowing that it will result in support calls due to customers having an older version of VIPM. 

Thanks,

Fab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jim Kring said:

Is upgrading to newer versions of VIPM a problem for your users? Do you have data on how many of your users can't upgrade to the latest version of VIPM (for one reason or another)? Do you know what's preventing your users from upgrading?

Upgrading is a huge problem for users of Mac and Linux, since VIPM hasn't been updated on those platforms since 2014.

Jim, can you confirm that VIPM support for Mac and Linux has been abandoned?  It would be good to know whether I should find an alternative to VIPM.

Edited by cmal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fab said:

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately for us, it doesn't make sense to build the DQMH package using VIPM 2017 knowing that it will result in support calls due to customers having an older version of VIPM. 

Thanks,

Fab

Hi Fabiola. That's fair. I guess I'm trying to figure out the volume of support calls. The solution for users is to upgrade VIPM (assuming they can), so the presumed support impact is low. Of course, that's unknown to you (or do you have information/data about it actually being a support problem)?

41 minutes ago, cmal said:

Upgrading is a huge problem for users of Mac and Linux, since VIPM hasn't been updated on those platforms since 2014.

Jim, can you confirm that VIPM support for Mac and Linux has been abandoned?  It would be good to know whether I should find an alternative to VIPM.

Hi Chris. We haven't officially abandoned Mac and Linux. We may decide to release a new version for Linux and Mac, if there is enough customer need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Jim.  That's great news.  I'm not sure whether it addresses Fab's concerns, but it does address mine.

I'll let you know if I encounter any issues with VIPM 2017 for Linux.

-Chris

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.