VIPM API for MacOS

Ben Stern

I've looked into the LabVIEW based API for VIPM, and was wondering if there is an equivalent for MacOS? In general, is there anyway to automate applying vipc files on MacOS?

I'm looking to use VIPM as dependency management for a large application that supports windows and mac and I'd like to make applying a vipc part of the automated build process. I understand that the current VIPM API vi package is not compatible with MacOS. But on a low level it seems to just call an executable with key-value pairs as command line arguments, so I'm hopeful that VIPM on Mac is capable of similar functionality. 

Hi @Ben Stern. That's an interesting question, and I can see how it would be very useful to have the VIPM API working on Mac. It's not currently possible (meaning, the VIPM API won't work on Mac).  I don't have much experience calling built LabVIEW apps on the Mac from the command line with arguments. Do you know if it's even possible?  On Mac, Applications that run in Finder are a little bit different than command-line executables (but, keep in mind that I'm not a Mac expert). I'm thinking there's probably a way to make this all work, since it's only software...

OK, I was able to call a built *.app on Mac from the command line with arguments (you actually have to execute the *.app/Contents/MacOS/Application file inside the bundle). So, it would seem that it should in theory be possible for the VIPM API to work on Mac.  However, this would take some development effort on the VIPM side of things (not just on the VIPM API library).   

image.png

Thanks @Jim Kring for the quick response! Glad I wasn't crazy for thinking it could be done "in theory". 

My team is definitely in need of VIPM pro but in the near future we would need a way to automate applying vipc files during our build process. Using command line is actually great for our purposes. 

You're welcome @Ben Stern. I think this is an interesting technical area and it would be nice if we were able to get the VIPM API working on Mac. I've created a case in our issue tracker for this: #17827. As always, we can't commit to a timeline for a fix, but wanted to let you know that it's in our tracking system.

Archived